Connection Problem

Guest |356|

Guest |356|

I'm having problems connection to my v44 ECU. I installed the software and the drivers and I still cannot get my laptob to even connect to the ECU. I launch the software, plug the ecu into the lapbot, turn they key, and I will not connect. Also, what are the 4 extra pieces that are supplied with the ECU? The car is a 99 Honda Civic Si and is turbocharged.

With the USB cable plugged into the V44 and the PC, look at the device manager and see if the Vipec USB driver is listed under ports. To access the device manger click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports.

If the port is there run the Vipec software and make sure Auto is selected for the Comm port. You will find this under Options -> Connection.

With Auto selected turn on the ignition and press F3 to go online.

Ray.

Guest |356|

In the device manager, the driver is under port, however it still will not connect. I'm hoping there's nothing actually wrong with the ECU itself. The car will start with the old ECU though. Anyone have any other suggestions before I run this thing over with my truck?

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

When you are in Device Manager and looking at the USB connection,look at its properties and see what USB port it is assigned to.

Comm 17 or what ever its at.

Select that same Comm port number in the ViPEC Software and save.

Turn the ignition on with the software open and hit F3.

Should say searching for ECU.

Then downloading from ECU,from memory (which isnt very good).

When you are on-line with ECU the ViPEC "V" symbol should be rotating in the top right hand corner of your laptop screen.

Guest |356|

Well mine says COM4, so I put it on that and still nothing. Like I stated before, I can start the car with the old ECU, but I can't even get connected to the vi-pec v44.

Guest |356|

When you say top port on the V44, do you mean the cord USB cord that connects to the labtop, the other end needs to be plugged into the top port on the V44, not the one that is tucked in under the board? We checked the pins on the A connector and there's no power to the middle pin (which is 5 I believe), however the OLD ECU runs in the car with no power to the 5 pin, so I was thinking there wasn't suppost to be power. There is another power wire on the B connector and it does have power. Can anyone confirm that the 5th pin on the A connector in fact does need power? If it truely is suppost to have power, then I gotta figure out why there is no power to it and why the OLD ECU runs with no power to that pin, yet the v44 does.

As you said V44 I though you have the standalone ECU, not a plug-in ECU. So ignore the pin numbers and the ports I mentioned.

Turn the ignition on and look at the underside of the top board on the plug-in ECU. You should see a small light that shows the ECU has power.

Ray.

Guest |356|

There is no green light showing up. Like I stated before, the 5th pin on the A connector does not have power, and according the the wiring diagram of the V44, it says that is a power. Now the car will run on the old ECU with that pin not having power. Does the V44 require that to have power and I have to start cutting my harness apart or is there something wrong with the V44 itself? If the wiring was a problem, the old ECU shouldn't work, correct? Only logical thing I can think of is that the V44 doesn't have a basemap on it or it just simply doesn't work.

Guest |356|

I have the standalone V44 ECU for the 96-99 Honda Civic. The one that plugs into the stock connectors. Sorry, that's all I know about this new ECU. My local speed shop told me to get this and I just wanna get the car running so I can drive to the speedshop to get it tuned. Also, the wiring diagrams in the manual compared to the wiring diagrams on the Vi-Pec program are not even the same. I had two mechanics over today and both pointed out that the wiring diagrams are different and the ones on the program itself don't even indicated which connector they are showing. Under V44 on the program it shows one connector and which wires is which, but doesn't say which connector it is, and also the wires don't match up to the one in the manual provided with the v44 ECU.

The 96-99 plugin ECU suits cars that use connector A, C and D. If your original ECU uses A, B, C connectors, then you will need an adaptor harness. That would explain no power to the ECU.

There is a company in the USA that sells the adaptor harness.

Ray.

Guest |356|

It says it's for 96-99 Honda Civic's though. No one told me I had to get an adapter harness when I bought this. They said I just simply had to plug it in and install the software on my laptob. Anyone else agree that I need an adapter harness? In the back of the manual it says harness A&B, but nothing about A,C,D. The stock Connectors are A,B,C, so is the C not even used anymore? I'm at a loss at this point. It says for 99 Honda Civic and it says in the manual to just plug it right into the stock harness, so realistically it should work without a hitch.

Guest |356|

Okay, I found that in the manual I have. So I need to get a harness for it to work? I can't believe I wasn't told about this. How much is a harness then? I live in Canada, by the way.

Guest |356|

So that is the problem, guarnteed? I wanna make sure I know for sure, before I go into the speedshop and tell them why they didn't tell me about this harness I would need, on top of the V44 ECU.

Guest |356|

First off, that IS who I bought it from, and secondly, I called him on friday and explained to him EVERYTHING, including the connector difference and he said it was fine and to continue reading the manual. As far the problem with this car, this is one of many I still have and am still trying to figure out. The reason I went with the Vi-pec is because he told me it literally just needs to be plugged in and then drove to him to get tuned. He never told me about the adapter harness, and that is part of his job as a Vi-Pec dealer, to be aware of the little stuff like that and let the customer know before they buy the product. Yes, it's just a simple harness, but I should have been told this upfront, so I didn't have to fork out another $100.00 for an "extra" that supposably wasn't even needed. Anyways, I really appreciate all the help, and thank you very much. Hopefully have car running within a few days.

Guest |356|

Just like to let everyone know that I just talked to Cam at Lightspeed and we have a plan in motion to get this all figured out. Lightspeed did nothing wrong and I apologize for making the company look bad. Lightspeed is a great speedshop and they always go above and beyond to help me. I regret the last post and I apologize once again for taking my frustration out on Lightspeed. Thanks to Cam at Lightspeed for helping me out with this and hopefully get it all figured out in today, or in a couple days.

I met Cam personally, and I can only say he is number 1 guy for all the issues you or anybody might have. Since you bought this PNP from him, he will take care of you as needed. Sometimes little things can be more annoying then anything, but always remember, this is tuning, and a lot of things can go wrong. This what you have, is a piece of cake :D

Guest |356|

Yes, he is a good guy. Just one of those things when everything builds up and builds up and you blow. Still have some other issues to figure out, but hopefully get that figured out soon as well. Now, as far as the conversion harness's go, could anyone help me with which one I need? My stock pins are A, B, C and the new ecu uses A, C, D. I'm not too sure which one I am gonna need to get this ecu up and running, finally. Anyways, if someone could direct me, as to which one I would need, I will be well on my way so I can stop bugging you all. :P