composition sensor with V88 ?

Guest |361|

Guest |361|

Is it possible to get a fuel composition sensor (from GM) working on a V88 ?

I want to make use of the ethanol fuels but want to be sure the v88 knows what mixture the engine is running.So it automatically retard timing,add fuel and rise the turbo pressure.

Guest |361|

I copied the text below from the megasquirt forum.

The fuel sensor uses a microprocessor to measure the ethanol percentage and fuel temperature, which it uses to produce and output signal. The fuel sensor signal is a square-wave voltage signal. The signal varies in both frequency and pulse width:

The frequency of the signal indicates the ethanol percentage. The output frequency is linear with respect to the percentage of ethanol content in the fuel. The PCM provides an internal pull-up to five volts on the signal circuit, and the fuel sensor pulls the 5 volts to ground in pulses. The normal range of operating frequency is between 50 and 150 Hertz:

50 Hertz indicates 0% ethanol, and

150 Hertz indicates 100% ethanol.

The pulse width indicates the fuel temperature. The normal pulse width is between 1 and 5 milliseconds:

1 millisecond indicates -40°C (-40°F), and

5 milliseconds indicates 125°C (257°F).

Guest |361|

Thanks for the replies sofar Ray.

So what you mean is that I have to use the zeitronix ECA to have the proper outputs?

If you would make a converter box without a display ,will this be alot cheaper? As I don`t need a display because the V88 allready change the fuel mixture.

I bought the sensor allready. I got it from gmpartsworldwide .

Pretty expensive I must say...

So what you mean is that I have to use the zeitronix ECA to have the proper outputs?

If you read the information on the zeitronix you will see it has two analog outputs that are 0 to 5 volts, based on the amount of ethanol and the temperature.

Yes a converter without a display would be cheaper. I will look at making one.

Ray.

• 6 months later...

I now have a working prototype of a interface for composition sensors with a 50-200 Hz = 0 to 100% ethanol and a temperature range of -40 to 150C. The interface has two 0 to 5 volt output signals and one digital. The two volt signals are ethanol % and fuel temperature. The digital output is an error signal if water or methanol is in the fuel tank.

I have a question before I commit to make the production version. How important is it that the interface has a digital display, when you will be able to see the percentage and temperature in the software and data logs.

Leaving out the display will make the price much cheaper.

Ray.

• 1 month later...

Didn`t visit this board in a long time so sorry for the late reply..

I bought a ECA from zeitronix and got it working. Only thing to do is to tune the car on a dyno with different mixtures of ethanol.

I hope I can do this in coming spring but just bought a house with a lot of work so my priorities changed.

To answer your question Ray, the digital screen is not a necessary thing although it`s nice to know which blend I have in the tank.

Put to be honest I rather save the extra money spend on the digital screen for other more important parts.

I still have another project where I need a ECA so I`m interested in the price you can make them for.

• 1 month later...
Guest |361|

The sensors are extremly expensive at a GM dealer (were I got it...)

You can get the sensor alot cheaper at zeitronix site ($359... I paid almost twice that price).