Supra wont start ... New need some help!

Guest |313|

Guest |313|

Hey guys I'll admit I am COMPLETELY new to all this engine management stuff. I have a 1997 Supra Turbo that I just installed a billet 67mm turbo on as well as the Vipec V88. I bought the V88 from John Reed ... great tuner ... however as my car is still on stock fuel until next March or so I can't see spending to have him come tune it only to have to fly him out again this coming March.

So John provided a base map for my car on stock fuel as well as a custom PNP harness to leave my stock ECU in charge of my built auto trans. So I have the IAT sensor installed and connected as well as the MAP sensor. I turn the key to ON, hit F3 and the laptop connects every time to the V88 no problems at all. Now knowing nothing at all at this point I figure John has given me a decent base map that should make the car drivable if not ideally tuned.

Every time I try to crank her over she cranks and cranks and cranks but never even gives a hit of turning over. I asked John and he briefly told me to check under triggers for Trig Signal 1 and 2 and make sure that they are there when I crank the car. Not entirely sure what he meant by make sure they are there however anytime I crank the car or it is just sitting I see Trig Signal 1 and 2 say "NO" and that is all I see. No Trig 1 Signal errors or engine RPM.

Any idea on even vaguely where to start would be great as it seems to take several days for John to get back to me which I know he is a busy guy but my car has been sitting for 3+ months now and I really would like to drive it before the end of summer :D

Thanks and Ray the V88 seems to be a good piece of hardware!!!

Damien Gambill

Check the wiring for the crank and cam sensors. This is how they must be wired.

E9-27 (Brown/Red) Crank +ve = A8 Trigger 1

E9-5 (Blue) Crank -ve = A24 or B22 Ground Out

E9-25 (Black/White) Cam +ve = A9 Trigger 2

E9-5 (Blue) Cam -ve = A24 or B22 Ground Out

In the software the trigger selection has to be multitooth, with 12 teeth on the crank and Sync pulse as cam. Trigger 1 and 2 must be selected as reluctor. The correct offset value is 64 deg. Trigger 1 and 2 filtering set to Level 1 (low).

Trigger 1 and 2 thresholds should be like this.

--0---1000---2000---3000

0.2----0.8----2.0-----3.0

Ray.

SupraCrankCamWire.png

Guest |313|

Thanks Ray ....

So I switched back to my stock ECU, MAF sensor and stock o2 sensor and the car fired up. Granted it idled like crap and is not drivable but it did run for several minutes before eventually dieing. I spoke with John and he tells me he knows the wiring is good as he installed my harness and Vipec into another Supra to create my base map ... packaged it up and shipped it off to me.

John mentioned it may be something to do with the signal strength from the cam/crank sensors as for Triggers 1 and 2 still say "NO". I tried the suggested setting Ray which are only slightly different from those john provided and same result. Triggers say NO and the car wont crank over.

I would think if the stock ECU is able to read the cam/crank sensors then signal strength would not be a problem but again I am completely new to this. John mentioned the signals may be weak due to sharing signals ... I am guessing he is talking about the V88 and stock ECU sharking the signal through the PNP harness ...???

Any other ideas on what I might be able to check? One of these days this car will run again :shock:

Xsfspd

I just installed V88 in a auto trans Supra.

The car started from the first, all the sensors are shared.

The logic behind this is more than simple. IF YOU DON'T see trigger signals in the software, THEN THERE AREN'T ANY.

Once more, check the wiring, no matter who says it is good. I personally installed more than 200 cars, and believe me, errors can happen. Always.

So, if something is missing, check the wiring. The car starts from the first crank.

Hrvoje

Guest |313|

Well .... JohnR seems to think it is a weak signal coming from the cam/crank sensors. I'd love to check the wiring and what not but looking at the diagram above I have nearly NO idea what I am looking at and what wires I would even need to check.

Given that I am going to send the V88, harness and my stock ECU back to John. Let him fix any issues and then send it back and hope the car turns over. In the mean time I'll sort out a little exhaust leak I found when the car ran for all of 3 minutes on the stock ECU :(

Maybe this is the smartest thing.

I just covered first 100km with my piggybacked Supra :)

Still now when I see that everything is working as it should, today we will tune the car on the dyno.

I piggybacked TPS, cam, crank, sensor gnd, ignition switch, knock sensors, cut the injectors, coils, idle valve.....everything is working properly!