Improve cold start on E85

Guest |245|

Guest |245|

I need some tips on how to improve the cold start on my E85 powered SR20DET. To make it start now, i crank 2-3 seconds a time and the 4.th or 5th. time the engine shows signs of starting. But first at the 8. or 9th try it finally starts and runs normally. When starting, I don't use the throttle at all, if i do so the engine seems completely dead -suspecting the acceleration enrichment or warmp-up table being the cause of this.

The problematic area is when temperatures are below 30 degrees celsius. I am looking for what values people with better starting engines are using. At 10 degrees C. (which is most used here) I have currently 34ms pre crank prime, 70% first crank enrichment, 250% crank enrichment, for 2 seconds, then 220% post start enrichment for 3,8 seconds and 18 seconds post start decay time. My ignition table looks like this:

MGP....0........500......750......1000 RPM

Any suggestions for what to try or values that should be changed are well appreciated!

I am not a E85 expert. I have never tuned an engine with that fuel. I know years ago we had problems with engines starting when very cold at -30 deg temps. Adding a lot of cranking ignition timing and more dwell time fixed the problem.

This is a dwell table from a Honda K20, that gives a powerful spark when cranking at low voltage, and was the type of table setup used to help start very cold engines.

HondaDwellTable.png

Guest |245|

Tried similar values as above and gave it a few more degrees of ignition down low. Car immediately showed signs of starting at second attempt and startet very good at the third, and ran much smoother than before :D