bmw e34 M5 trigger problems. and the solution

Guest |150|

Hi,

I'm helping out a friend setting up his m5 with a v88, but we are having some trigger problems.

the crank has the OEM 60-2 wheel and a gt101 sensor.

the sync signal is on the intake cam. one extended bolt on the cam sprocket. gt101 sensor

the sync signal is at about 540deg crank rotation and the crank missing teeth occur at about 630deg crank rotation (oem sensor position) (360deg crank beeing tdc between compression and power stroke)

the trigger offset is set to -250deg using the timing ligth.

based on this can you supply the correct trigger setup? I've tried all that makes sense to me, and some that don't. but I can't get a consistent rpm signal when cranking.

can placement of the cam signal mess things up?

thanks

Marius

The 60-2 crank trigger would have been designed for a magnetic/reluctor sensor. The GT101 may not read the teeth due to their size. Make sure the GT101 is 1mm from the teeth (no more or no less). If you still have problems, then go back to the original sensor.

The crank signal is where the ECU gets the rpm from, not the cam.

The trigger offset is not the missing teeth position. The trigger offset is the relationship of the cam signal and the tooth on the crank that gives you correct timing. The missing teeth position is only used if you have no cam signal.

Ray.

I'll try that. but from what i understand the OEM sensor is hall effect to. atleast it has 3 wires. 5volt, signal and shield\gnd.

reason i asked about the cam is cause when i set that as "sync level" not "sync puls" the rpm will be steady. but i will not get any injector pulsewidt when i'm cranking.

the rpm signal will be pretty consistent when we are cranking with out the sparkplugs. but once the plugs are in the voltage drops down to 10V some times.

The Sync Level should only be selected, if you have a sync position sensor that provides a signal that is high for one revolution of the crank, then low for the next revolution. The GT101 reading the head of a bolt will not give this signal.

When you select Sync Pulse = No, you have to select wasted spark and group fire injection. If you do not then, you will get rpm, but no injector signal.

Ray.

Hello,

Keep in mind some bmw sensors are in fact Magnetic and have 3 wires. sig-gnd-shield.

We had the same problem with the setup and found that the stock sensor works best...

KPA

installed the oem sensor. hooked it up like a reluctor. set the timing and the car started after 3 sec of cranking. =)

so the gt101 does not like the bmw triggerwheels. any particular reason why?