Software BUG ???

Guest Marcel B

Guest Marcel B

Hi everyone , I must compliment Ray and the guys at ViPec on the new "Quick Trim " feature , I have been able to tune my car to a high degree on my own without a dyno :!: To use this feature I log the relevant data , go trough it and make changes to my fuel map as necessary . It is during this process (which could be more than an hour sometimes) that my computer switches to a "blue screen" which says something about a serious error occuring and having to do a crash dump and restarts itself :shock: This has never happened before , but I wasnt logging before now , anyone have any ideas :?:

A somewhat related bug I have been having since the update is using the log downloader built into the software. Downloading the log proceeds normally, but as soon as a log finished downloading, the software hangs for a period of time. The hang seems to be maybe approximately the same length of time that it takes to download the log. I larger the log, the longer the hang. It also causes random errors to pop up in the software such as undervoltage conditions.

A somewhat related bug I have been having since the update is using the log downloader built into the software.

Make sure the Vipec USB driver is using a COM number 9 or less. Numbers over 9 can cause communication delays do to Windows, not giving these virtual ports processor time.

Ray.

Hi everyone , I must compliment Ray and the guys at ViPec on the new "Quick Trim " feature , I have been able to tune my car to a high degree on my own without a dyno :!: To use this feature I log the relevant data , go trough it and make changes to my fuel map as necessary . It is during this process (which could be more than an hour sometimes) that my computer switches to a "blue screen" which says something about a serious error occuring and having to do a crash dump and restarts itself :shock: This has never happened before , but I wasnt logging before now , anyone have any ideas :?:

I've hade the same thing happen to me. with the blue screen. and using the latest software firmware. I pretty much always log, so i would not be able to tell if that has anything to do with it or not.

But my computer will now do this without opening the vi-pec program. it's just got wors, so I was thinking virus. just thougth i'd mention it since you sumptoms were the same.

I know for sure that the software isn't using com 9 or less.

you need to setup windows to capture a crash dump for analysis to determine the cause of the blue-screen. This can usually be found from a mini-dump, a full dump takes too long and uses up too much space.

you need to setup windows to capture a crash dump for analysis to determine the cause of the blue-screen. This can usually be found from a mini-dump, a full dump takes too long and uses up too much space.

I'm not that into computers, but i got the computer to fully boot up and it seemed that everytime i tried to open windows explorer the blue screen occured. anyways windows recorded a malfunction and 2 files where included in the failure report, they where in the temp file folder so i just emptied that. restarted the computer and was able to open windows explorer. and haven't had a blue screen since. (its been 10minutes)

like I said, I was thinking more in the ways of a virus or something. just thougth I'd mention it, since i just started using this particular pc for logging with the new software yesterday. I've used a second computer before. with no problems at all. both running XP.

There are no bugs in the 4.4.1 software that will cause this. We do not just release new software without a lot of testing. Version 4.4.1 is many times more stable then the previous 4.3.4 version. A lot of effort was put into making the software faster and to remove some of the bugs in version 4.3.4. We may have even spent more time then we should on ensuring there we no major bugs. That is why it took so long to get 4.4.1 out.

There are a few random oddball things that we still have to fix. This is the way some labels do not disappear when changing the function of an input and output. They cause no harm and can be ignored if you see one of these.

Ray.

Make sure the Vipec USB driver is using a COM number 9 or less. Numbers over 9 can cause communication delays do to Windows, not giving these virtual ports processor time.

Ray.

This is happening with it connected to COM port 4, and while using the USB cable. It happens with the engine both off and on. Its just something sort of annoying when the old log downloader worked great, but this one results in like 3x the time required. I suppose I could just live with it if you do not know what could cause this. Is there a way to open and use the previous log downloader? I do not see it in the folder anymore with the new update.

Brian

As the Vipec has 4MB of logging memory, the time taken to download big amount of data can take a while. We tested the download time against other make ECU (Motec and Autronic), and the speed was the same for the same data size. The Autronic SM4 has 114k on memory. The Vipec downloads this amount of data in the same time.

After the Log file manager gets the data from the ECU memory, there is a short time for the data to be processed and written to the file. This could be made faster, but the time taken is nothing like the time you are getting. I just downloaded and saved a 1MB log. The save to file part was about 4 seconds and was nothing like the time taken to get the data from the ECU memory.

The old log manager that was not part of the software, caused too many problems for a lot of people. First you needed to have Microsoft Net Framework installed on your PC. This was a 20MB download if you did not have it. Also there were just too many people who could not download the logs. We have not had a single report of anyone not begin able to download the data with the new version.

I will see what can be done to make the file saving part faster. I would recommended you try and make your logs smaller by using a rate around 10Hz, and only log when you need too. Turning on the logger over a RPM can help a lot.

Ray.