Help with ignition map

gc8h4t

Hi im currently running a v3 wrx with upgrade exhaust and top mount 

Im currently running 7-11 degree at 100-120kpa 2600-3600rpm 

While i feel like this is very low timing the ecu is still picking up knock, i got my knock frequency set to 6khz narrow band with gain of 1

Anyone got a timing map with similar mods please advice 

Thank you

Edited by Whyh4

Hi,

what octane fuel are you running, 

Is the knock control setup correctly.

Are there any ignition adders being applied such as AIT or ECT timing trims setup incorrectly in the tune.

The biggest one in WRX's is IAT charge setup and the placement of the AIT sensor.

Posting the PCL and possibly doing a PC data log with all parameters selected at 40 hz would help also.

Have you tried reducing the timing values by say 2 degrees in those areas, saving the file as a different name and loading to the ECU to try.

What heat range are your sparkplugs, what is your AFR at the suspected KNOCK area.

Regards

Dave.

Hi,

what octane fuel are you running, 

Is the knock control setup correctly.

Are there any ignition adders being applied such as AIT or ECT timing trims setup incorrectly in the tune.

The biggest one in WRX's is IAT charge setup and the placement of the AIT sensor.

Posting the PCL and possibly doing a PC data log with all parameters selected at 40 hz would help also.

Have you tried reducing the timing values by say 2 degrees in those areas, saving the file as a different name and loading to the ECU to try.

What heat range are your sparkplugs, what is your AFR at the suspected KNOCK area.

Regards

Dave.

hi Dave, thank you for the reply

The afr im running around that mark is 11.5, fuel is shell 98 octane, sparkplug im using is bkr6, at the moment the iat is sitting before turbo inlet where the afm used to be(until i get a front mount, then it will be just before the tb)

Also I've been searching through the forum and found that i might have my knock control incorrectly setup, my knock target values are all at 0. How do i find the correct target values?

what timing is everyone running on an almost stock wrx? The base map seems to be very high?

This is all new to me and any help is much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

as far as what values to put in the tables, they really need to be setup and tuned on the dyno and a final configuration on the road.

WARNING, Knock Control IS AN ADVANCED FEATURE, so be careful.

It really should be setup by an experienced tuner who has very good knowledge with all the functions and processes.

I am in NO WAY STATING YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SKILLS, i am purely casting a broad statement to all who may read this thread.

When you go through all of the KNOCK CONTROL setup, you should USE YOUR BEST FRIEND IN THE WORLD, The F1 button or RIGHT CLICK , WHAT'S THIS.

The help file needs to be read and understood for each and every selection.

There are also some basic starting point settings to work with.

You must also consider how you have setup KNOCK CONTROL.

Items such as DO YOU WISH TO HAVE THE KNOCK CONTROL TABLE VALUES ALL RETURN TO 0 (ZERO) on restart etc etc.

You also need to make sure that the KNOCK MONITORING DEVICE , whether it be onboard or external has been correctly setup with correct, frequency, deadband,etc.

There are many variables to consider.

So please take some time to read through the HELP file.

If you have trouble finding something, with the HELP file open hit the SEARCH TAB and type in what you are looking for.

Get an understanding of how you have set everything up and then follow through with your questions as there could be hundreds of solutions to your problem.

Or post up your PCL file.

Regards

Dave.