Timing Drift

Guest |443|

Guest |443|

Yet another newb question. I got my car running on the V88 this past weekend and its doing reasonably well, except I'm experiencing a substantial amount of timing drift. At idle, timing is dead on (when using Triggers->Calibrate->Set base timing) at 800rpm, but about 8* off at 2000RPM, which fully explains my drivability issues. I was told by a few tuning friends that I need to just setup timing drift settings and I'll be good to go. I am failing to see them.

Could this be due to sensor noise? The factory wiring from the Hall cam sensor is shield-free... I am planning to change that around, but I'd like to fix the drift in the mean time.

For reference, my vehicle is a 93 325 BMW, M50TU, using M50TU sensors - VR 60-2 crank, Hall cam. The software version is 4.4.1.251.

Thanks,

Roman

You need to set the ignition delay time so the timing does not move. You will find this setting under ignition setup.

To set this value use the Set Timing feature to lock the timing at 10 or more degrees, then using a timing light rev the engine up and down quickly and adjust the delay. Typical values are 20 to 200 usec.

The ignition delay setting has no effect at steady state rpm, so if the timing is out 8 deg at 2000 rpm, then there is some other problem. Email me your map so I can look at it. [email protected]

Ray.