Injectors Passing?

Guest Simon Willis

Guest Simon Willis

One thing I have noticed is that when I sit in the car with the engine off and ignition on and play with Vipec I hear the fuel pump regularly priming. When I eventually go for a start it takes a lot of cranking to start and then is very rich. I was thinking that maybe I have an injector that is passing and filling up a cylinder while I'm sat with the ignition on and engine off. Any ideas?

Check the fuel pump Aux output, has been selected as Fuel Pump.

The ECU will turn on the pump for 3 seconds, and then off if the engine does not start. When you crank the engine the fuel pump turns on.

There should be no other time the pump turns on or off. If this is happening to you, then you have some wiring issue.

The fuel pump does not turn on when the pressure is low due to a leaking injector. If the engine is not running the pump is off.

Ray.

Guest Simon Willis

OK, I thought the ECU was just priming the fuel pump periodically. I know that the fuel pump has no sort of pressure switch control.

I just timed it. The pump kicks in every 1 minute exactly. It has always done this since the Vipec was put in (1.5 years ago). Not sure before then. Could be something to do with the alarm/immobiliser. Is there any way to check if the ECU is getting periodically reset or something? I don't lose comms when I hear the fuel pump prime.

Guest Simon Willis

OK, I just discovered something... I was downloading a log from the ECU and when I heard the fuel pump prime, I received "Stream Read Error" so I suspect it is momentarily resetting the ECU. It's probably the alarm