20v blacktop

Guest |109|

I'm thinking to install a v44 on my 4age 20v blacktop motor ..

plan is to remove the dizzy - switch to coil on plug, add an edis crank trigger - will the v44 work in this way ? are there many v44's running on 20v blacktops with custom cas ?

cheers

Is there any reason you dont want to use the stock trigger in the base of the distributor? Remove the distributor cap and rotor, machine up a slimline cap for the base and wire it up with the stock multi-tooth trigger.

I use 1zzfe corolla coils when I convert 20V's to COP, just requires four mounting bosses to be welded to the cam cover. I also take about 1mm off the coil shaft diameter in a lathe so they fit down the plug tubes nicely.

eg:

ae101_20v.jpg

plan is to remove the dizzy - switch to coil on plug, add an edis crank trigger - will the v44 work in this way ? are there many v44's running on 20v blacktops with custom cas ?

I am buliding a silvertop with 7AFE bottom end. I plan to do the same as JMP and use the distrubtor to generate the trigger signals. You could add a crank trigger. You will still need a signal at camshaft rpm.

I use 1zzfe corolla coils when I convert 20V's to COP, just requires four mounting bosses to be welded to the cam cover. I also take about 1mm off the coil shaft diameter in a lathe so they fit down the plug tubes nicely.

Can you tell me more about these coil. Do you know how powerful they are. Do you know the dwell times.

Ray.

The power and dwell for the coils is the same as the 2nz coils that I used on my cressida build. Here's the info I posted in my cressida build thread:

"The Yaris coils support 100hp per cylinder pretty easily and work OK with a flat 3ms.

This dwell time was posted for them on the motec forums:

8V 6.3 ms

9V 5.3 ms

10V 4.4 ms

11V 3.8 ms

12V 3.2 ms

13V 2.7 ms

14V 2.4 ms

15V 2.2 ms"

There have been 4cyl corolla's built using these coils pushing more than 240kw atw (Dyno Dynamics shootout), there's the MR-S spyders and ZZT celica's in the states which supposedly make 600hp+ and then the lotus ZZ engined cars which have also been built to make 600+hp.

The coils aren't cheap new, around $140ea trade from AFI, but can be had for a fair price from most wreckers.

I have done a few 4AGE 16v and 20v engines. Everytime I used stock triggers. Engine revs to 8500 without problems.

Unless you are aiming to use much higher rpm, there is no need to complicate things.

Thanks,

the reason i was looking to use a crank angle was the more accurate timing - is timing drift not an issue on high rpm engines with only a cam angle sensor ?

also, is the silvertop distributor the same as the blacktop ?

The AE101 and AE111 20V distributors are functionally identical. The 4agze CAS is gear driven from a sprocket on the exhaust camshaft, the 20V distributor is driven directly off the rear of the exhaust camshaft.

the coils should not be hard to get hold of - they are on a million corollas out there from 05 upwards - with the 1zz-fe engine. also on the 2zz-ge engine, which is less popular in australia.

the coils on the 2zz will make over 350whp without issue.

also, in regards to map sensor take off - the pic as above - i dont have that rectangular box just in front of the injectors - its been removed and blanked off - it basically wont fit under the bonnet - where else can i take a tee from all 4 TB's ?

thx