IS Vipec Compatible with Mallory or MSD CDI Ignition Box?

Guest |691|

Hi! May I know if Vipec V44 ECU is compatible with CDI boxes like MAllory Hyfire 6AL or MSD 6A/6AL or Digital 6?

I am very concerned because I bought a MAllroy Hyfire 6AL from ebay and the white wire (supposed to be trigger wire) fried 2 Autronic SM4 ECUs ignition outputs. Thus I don't know if its due to the CDI faulty (12V was measured on the white trigger wire) or is it because its not compatible.

I am ditching the Autronic in favour of Vipec V44 but would still want to install a CDI unit to improve my ignition. Thus would there be any issues?

Thanks!

The MSD 6AL and digital 6 work with the Vipec. Dwell time must be set to 3.5 msec in all of the dwell table. Ignition edge must be set to Rising.

There is a MSD CDI that is a problem, but will work with the addition of a dumb ignition module. This is the DIS-2 and DIS-4. To be honest these are such a bad CDI that I would use any other CDI before even thinking about using them.

If you want a multi channel CDI, then look at the M&W range. Even for a single channel the M&W versions are very good and reliable.

The Malory will work. It also needs a Rising signal.

Ray.

Hi I am actually looking at just single channel CDI. This is because my car is still using a distributor. Thus only 1 coil. The Coil I am using is a Mallory Pro MAster classic #29440 coil. Car is Toyota Celica GT4 using 3SGTE engine.