Firmware update on older V88 - stupid questions within :)

Patrick Olsen

I have a V88 that I bought from a guy way back in 2013, and hopefully in the not-too-distant future I'm finally going to put it to use. The guy I got it from said it had never been installed/used, and I've never done anything with it, so as far as I know it's got the original firmware on it.

The sticker on the ECU says:

PCB Rev 1.2

Serial # 8219

So, first stupid question - I've found the firmware page (https://www.vi-pec.com/software). Do I need to download/install any intermediate firmware versions, or can I just download and install the most recent firmware and be good to go?

Next stupid question - I'm still in the process of re-installing the main wiring harness in the car, getting the battery reinstalled, replacing battery and alternator wiring, etc etc. Basically, I can't install the ECU in the car yet because all of the supporting wiring harness work isn't done yet. So can I just plug the ECU into my laptop and update the firmware? Will the USB provide the power the ECU needs? Or does the ECU need to be in the car with 12V applied in order for me to do this?

Thanks!

Pat