Connection issues

NVS1

I have installed the G4+ software and cannot get my laptop to connect to the ECU. When I go to the device manager, I don't see any problems with the USB connection.  I opened each of the USB ports in device manager it says it's working properly.  I tried the auto select and selected each port manually under the G4 software settings tab and I tried switching the USB plug to all of the ports and always get a error message "selected com port error" when doing it manually or never get past the "searching" message when using the auto connect selection.   

I'm using windows 10 home edition. I also tried to run the program using Windows 8 & 7 in compatibility modes and get the same error.  I also installed ver. 5.6 and still can't connect to the ECU.  

Any advice? I can only assume its a windows setting related problem to the drivers.

thanks in advance

Can you go to device manager, right click on the ECU com port, select properties, then go to the detail tab, select the property "hardware ID" and give us a photo of that screen.  It should look something like below.

AXnqVqn.png

Hi Adam,  I tried to update the driver, but there is no driver folder in Windows. Could this be the problem? 

331861459_screenshot2.jpg.cfb002ac7e34b172a88e2796fd9b22fe.jpg

Under the PClink G4+ folder there are 3 files that I can see Command, Options2 & PopoutMenuConfig

It sounds like you havent installed PC Link in the default location?   Can you try re-installing PC Link and dont change any of the default install options.  

Otherwise I would suggest calling our tech support and one of them can jump of team viewer and do it for you.

Hi Adam, Uninstalled the application, re-downloaded the installation from the website and reinstalled the application.  It looked promising the C:\Link G4\Link USB Drivers folder is now there but still cannot connect to the ecu.  I tried to update the driver using the instructions I got from the video link you sent.  I now get this error.

I also tried to look for the phone support # but cannot find it anywhere. Can you provide it?

screen shot 3.jpg

Hi Adam, the Windows 10 user is an Admin user, but when I called tech support the guy that answered said to load the system on another machine.  He said it should work b/c it works on his Windows 10 machine.  He agreed that it seemed like a driver issue, but could really help other than to say to get another machine.  Not really helpful..... So I finally got a hold of a Windows 7 laptop, which is no longer supported by Microsoft as of January of this year. I was able to connect with the ecu but the connection seems to drop every time the ignition key is cycled and during a few cranks on the engine.  I don't see the RPM move with the engine cranking but I'm not sure if it's because of a dropped connection or another reason.  Any ideas on this issue? 

Hi Adam,  Did a little more testing. Found that the ECU gets 12v with the key on the on position but once I start cranking the engine it drops to 1v.  Does this make a difference?  How much voltage does the ECU need in order to fire the ignition coil or is it depended on the rpm signal?  I will try to look at the grounds and re-do them.  Any other advice for me to look into?  

6 hours ago, NVS1 said:

ECU gets 12v with the key on the on position but once I start cranking the engine it drops to 1v.  Does this make a difference?  How much voltage does the ECU need in order to fire the ignition coil or is it depended on the rpm signal?

You obviously have a wiring issue.  The ECU will need at least 7V to stay alive, but if I saw any less than about 9.5V during cranking then I would be concerned at that level too.  So you need to follow where the ECU gets its power from and work out why it is disappearing.