BMW M54/M52tu double vanos VVT config

npavlo

Should I be using BMW M52 VVTi configuration?

Engine is BMW straight 6 with double vanos. Not motorsport vanos.

I get Intake L/H, Exhaust LH errors when cranking viewing the VVT runtime values. Missing tooth, 3rd pulse, etc. The cam angle test results are inconclusive but I haven't been able to start the engine and idle it steady just yet. I have not been able to program in the latch point accurately.

I did not build the engine harness, but this the current config for triggering.

Trigger one = magnetic crank sensor/balancer from S50 (engine is somewhat frankenstein)

MultiTooth/Missing

Reluctor

Dead nuts calibration at +32/-328 degrees

Trigger two = stock intake cam sensor

Pull up on

Rising edge

264 degrees offset (steadish number from cam angle test, solenoids unplugged)

DI 1 = stock intake cam sensor hall effect

Pull up on

Rising edge

264 degrees offset (steadish number from cam angle test, solenoids unplugged)

DI 2 = stock exhaust cam sensor hall effect

Pull up on

Rising edge

** degrees offset (couldn't get a steady number, although I did not try changing the edge to falling yet, solenoids unplugged)

My main question is, am I using the correct VVT configuration for this engine? My understanding is Vipec has been used before on these engines.

Good morning,

The information I have for the M52 says the trigger pattern has 60-2 pattern on the crank and a cam level signal (half high/half low) on each cam. The best way to go forward would be to see the signals on the crank and cams.

Do you have access to a scope?

Also, which ECU are you using?

If you can also upload your base-map in its current state please.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott,

You are right about the cam triggers. Half high/low. I took a look at the reluctor wheel and mistook the wrong holes in it for the trigger.

I will re-run the cam angle test with the alternate pulse count and I should be able to get a fix on it. I was looking for confirmation I was using the correct VVT config.

The vehicle is half way across the country so I don't know if they have a scope over there. I think I should be good. V88 ECU

Is there a more detailed description for these pre-configurations?

Hi again,

In the VTS Help we have an Engine Information section, quite often a lot of useful setup information can be found in here. Unfortunately for the M52, there is not much there. I suspect this is because we have not actually had one here to take the data off and the info we do have has been supplied to us by a dealer or user. Part of the other problem is that BMWs VANOS system has a fair bit of variety from 1 or 2 cams, using one solenoid or 2 solenoids per cam.

According to the info I do have:

Trig 2 should be wired to the inlet cam sensor and the same cam sensor is used for the inlet cam control, so you would use the Trig 2:VVTi settings and the offset is 290 degrees.

The exhaust cam sensor should be wired to a DI channel and should have an offset of 140 degrees.

Let us know how you get on. If you are still having problems we should clarify some things about the engine:

1. Are both cams variable?

2. Does each variable cam have one solenoid or two?

3. Does each cam have just one position sensor, or two?

4. Ideally we need scope images of each cam signal in relation to the crank signal (or all 3 together with ign 1 with if you a 4 channel scope)

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks Scott.

I will have them re-run the cam angle test to verify the offsets.

You are right about variation regarding the BMW engines, which is also why it is difficult to know if you are using the correct config.

I should be good to from here. This engine has variable on both cams, one solenoid per cam (ground controlled), one position sensor per cam (hall). Default positioning is intake retard, exhaust advance.

Next time I have one of these here, I will grab a scope trace of all the triggers with the cams in default position. I have a 4 channel scope here.

@ Scott,

We are still having issues getting this engine started. I am trying to do remote support a few states away. There was some question on where the inputs were wired, however we figured all of that out.

Is there any flexibility in the pre-configurations? Such as,

Can the intake and exhaust cam sensor be swapped?

They have the exhaust cam sensor connected to Trig 2 instead of the intake.

The intake cam sensor is connected to DI1.

I can only assume if you tell the Vipec where the inputs are it should work, however I am not sure how sensitive it will be.

I figured the worst case is the engine might be on the wrong stroke since the cam trigger wheels are opposite of each other.

Can you shed some light on this? I can have them swap the inputs if we have to.

To summarize, will the set up below, or do we have to swap the intake/exhaust cam sensor signal?

Trig 1

60-2 reluctor crank sensor configured as Multi/Missing (engine has older balancer installed)

Calibration verified -328/32

Trig 2

Exhaust cam sensor Hall

140 offset (unverified)

DI1

Intake cam sensor Hall

290 offset (unverified)

I can also send you over a PCL

My recommendation would be to get the triggers sorted first, as then the engine will run. Then once the engine is running, work on getting VANOS working.

For the triggers, the information specifies that the M52 should have the intake cam for Trig2. With the following settings:

Active Edge: Rising

Pullup: On

Ask them to set it up like this, then to set the base timing (VTS Help > VX ECU Tuning Functions > Triggers > Calibrate). Make sure when changing values in the 'set base timing' window that you press enter after entering the new number.

Scott