Injector setup Query

Rod Smart

Ok, Injector time now.

On my 4A-GE, I have some what look like Nippon Denso Injectors

Nippon Denso 250 green 13.8 24.5 50.0 290 Toyota 4AGE

The part number is 23250-16110 (the only info I could find is above

I'm running Peak & Hold with 2A peak and 0.5A hold

I cannot seem to get the fuel delivery down enough to have the Innovate LC-1 give a value less than 22 AFR, I can even smell its running rich.

The fuel rail is standard 4A-GE with the pressure relief valve and the control tube going to the intake plenum.

Does anyone have any settings for these injectors that may be able to help me?

Hi Rod,

It's possible that you're running so rich that cylinders aren't firing, raw fuel is coming out the exhaust and reading lean. (Remember AFR is Air to Fuel Ratio, so higher number is more air, less fuel, therefore lean).

What is your master fuel value set to?

What are the numbers in your fuel table like?

Where have you got the wideband O2 sensor located?

-Cameron

As this is a rear engined Off Road Buggy, the system is very short, 4-2-1, the O2 is between the 2-1 collector and the Hotdog, then the other end of the hotdog is about 3-4' of 2' 

Oh, Lean is max end of the scale, oops, fuel table numbers are about 40-42 during idle

Master is set to 15ms, 0% trim

Under Injector Setup, Type = custom (the dead times are as standard for this selection)

The Injectors are 13R8 resistance.

I thought P&H is better for the Injector than a Saturation control, the peak is to activate the Injector, and over come the spring & fuel pressure, and hold is a lower current to retain the Injector open as it doesn't need as much current.

I'll see about getting them cleaned & flowed again, been a while

Hi Rod,

You are correct, but it mostly applies to low impedance injectors that require a large current to open quickly and then a low current to stop it from melting. High impedance injectors are designed to be run in saturated mode, it doesn't hurt to run in P&H but there isn't anything to be gained as they only draw 1 amp or so it will never reach the peak anyway but you might get slightly faster closing times as 0.5 amps dissipates quicker.

Either way it shouldn't actually be causing the issues you're having. If you have lower the numbers in the fuel table to no advantage, maybe try lowering your master fuel value as see if you get anywhere.

-Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it seems to be going where I think it should be, I just have to work out the induction system air leak, cannot get it to idle under 3500 RPM, even with a sheet of lexan over the throttle body mouth :(

But thats not a LinkECU problem :)

Thank you for the clarification with the WB O2, I'd prefer to learn this on my engine than on another :)

Just how I understand it, its like this, the output is a measure of O2 in the air, the higher the output value, the more

O2 in the air :)

Correct.

Lean = Bigger numbered AFR and inversly, Rich is a smaller number AFR. 

I just noticed no one has mentioned the calibration, but you have also not replied with your WB make/model.  Just check you have set the correct Voltage/AFR's on that ANvolt channel.  This will most likely not fix the running of the engine because you can smell it's rich, but more if you actually WERE seeing 22AFR when it was rich is concerning.  

Another thing to check will be the runtimes (F12, it's your best friend when there are probs), and in the 'Fuel' tab under 'Fuel trims' in there you will see anything that might be throwing in fuel because it thinks it needs it.

Sub note: If the WB cal IS way out and it IS callibrated incorrectly so you ARE seeing 22AFR even when rich, AND you have closed loop lambda turned on. It will be dumping hell loads of fuel in there! 

Jurgen

I'm running a Innovate LC-1, and have the AN channel set to Innovate WB sensor.

when I posted my last post above, I had been playing with the motor, this time dialling up the fuel map, but 1st I plugged up the 2xM6 holes in the plenum that were allowing heaps of air in past the butterfly, I really don't know why I smelt it so rich, but its happily idling on about 900-1000 RPM

The outputs for the LC-1 are set for MAX V (+5V) at Max Oxy (Lean), and MIN V (0V) at Min Oxy (Rich)

But, again, you were right, with the engine stopped, the sensor will read Max oxy (or drift towards Max oxygen as the exhaust gas bleeds from the system)

Re: Ian, I have a 4-2-1 exhaust setup, right after the 2-1 collector, I have a 2' I.D. flange plate, then a piece of flexible tube, then a 90 degree bend (with the WB 1/2 way around the bend) then into a 2' x 12' hotdog, then about 4' of 2' pipe as it passes out from the rear of the frame, the 4-2 lengths are all the same length as the 20-valve header system, then I think the 2-1 is about the same length, but runs a 180 degree bend then into the 2-1 collector

The cams have been custom ground from billet blanks to suit this extractor system, and the porting and polished head work, I cannot wait to get it on to the dyno, I just have to rebuild the dyno and get it going before I can do that :)

Hi Rod

The outputs for the LC-1 are set for MAX V (+5V) at Max Oxy (Lean), and MIN V (0V) at Min Oxy (Rich)

Are you talking about your fault values set on the ANvolt channel?  0v & 5v?  If this is the case, that rules out another potential for over fueling.  So am I to assume you have it sorted by that last post?  You are reading reasonable AFR (13-15 ish not tuned) and it's not smelling hella rich... Or are you still having issues?

Jurgen