Miata G4+ PnP

Aaron99

Hello all,

First post here, I'm posting because I'm at my wits end .

A couple months ago I purchased a brand new link G4+ from a Link e-bay vendor, and then discovered that the G4+ doesn't enable closed loop knock control for the mk1 Miata afterall, then learned I'd have to dole out for a KnockBlock. So I did, not long after i bought the G4+. I know many people with earlier model Links (flyin' miata variety) that do facilitate this feature, so I think I mostly assumed a later model G4+ would incorporate this no problem. Then seeing the advertising mentioning closed loop timing control, I didn't question it. 

9 weeks later, still no KnockBlock, something to do with a loom problem or whatever with the manufaturer. Every week I hear back that it should be a week or two later (or still waiting on a reply back from Link, etc) - still no confirmation on a definitive date. 

This not some random ebay vendor, its the Ireland Link dealer, so I have no reason to doubt their sincerity. But I really can't afford to wait any longer to have this track car project wrapped up - everything else is ready to go (all mechanicals, WB AFR, etc) - but this is holding up everything, and is causing me a lot of trouble. 

I was planning on installing the G4+ today, but I was reading last week that there is some kind of code that is needed from the vendor (or Link), I e-mailed about it last week, they e-mailed Link but still no word back. Seems bizaare they woul send out the units without the code included....

So, seems unwise to start the ecu install without the code. Are my concerns valid or can I go ahead and install without the code? Interesting that the manual doesn't even mention this code - anywhere. 

Is there really no way to enable knock control on a mk1 (90-93 miata) PnP G4+?  What about the KnockBlock, is it worth waiting for or just asking for a full refund? Its been a lot of waiting, but at this desperate stage I'd be happy to just write it off as a lesson learned and claw back my money (for both KB and g4+ ecu) before the 180 day paypal limit expires.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. 

Hi Aaron

The G4+ has the hardware for knock control and will support it.

However in the case of the MX5 there was no stock knock sensor so the plugin does not have a input pin for the knock to be wired to.

For the ECU to accept knock one option would be for use to wire right into the ECU and on to the main top-board pins. (we could do this for you as a one off at an hourly rate)

The unlock code is a simple case for the dealer to get at the point they sell the unit on. They are able to do it online through our website, no need for them to be talking to us for it at all.

We have experienced delays in the production of the G4+ knockblock. I am a little concerned that you might be thinking this will connect to the ECU like the older G4 units did. This will not be an option on the new unit as it is geared as a pure tuning tool and only has an audio out to drive headphones.

Thanks Simon, thats really good news. I also received the pass code, thank you. 

I hand't realised the new knock block has been changed, I was thinking it was necessary for the knock input. I can cancel that order no problem, but keep the G4+. That seems like the best option. 

I'm very handy with a soldering iron, and have been building and designing my own printed circuit boards for years. Is this knock sensor top-board pin mod something I can do myself or is it strictly proprietory?