problems with AIM MXL

jonas

AIM MXL starada coupled to a Link G4 extreme.
does not show oil and fuel pressure that is associated with RS232 serial protocol, it only shows dashes on the instrument, what could be wrong? The values demonstrate the PcLink as they should.

Hi Jonas,

I don't have a lot of information with how our G4 ECUs work with the Aim MXL Strada over RS232. The information I do have says:

Aim Dash - Off or Requested - Short. 19200 Baud. 

When I look through the Requested - Short datastream mode I can not see a listing for fuel pressure or oil pressure. I expect that the dash is using one of the AN Volt channels.

See PCLink Help > Technical Terms and Reference > Communications > Short Datasream

Scott

• 2 months later...

Hi Jonas,

I've looked through the latest Race Studio software, but can't see anywhere where you can modify the offsets or multi-pliers for inidividual data received over CAN. This makes me think either the ECU CAN setup or Aim CAN setup is not correct. Attached is a document showing how this should be done on a G4 ECU. The Aim screenshots are from an earlier version of their software.

Scott

Link G4 ECU to Aim Dash CAN.pdf

Hi Scott,

Have a look at the settings I do not see anything wrong. It still shows negative values of oil and fuel pressure, but when you turn on the ignition key so normally the value until you start the engine. Any other suggestions on what can be wrong?
Is there any settings you have to change when you go from the RS232 serial protoco to CANbus??

Jonas

Hi Jonas, The ECUs serial connection should no longer be connected to the Aim, only the CAN bus connection. The setting should be as in the document above. When you look at the 'Fuel Pressure' and 'Oil Pressure' parameters in PCLink (not the An Volt channel values), do they read correctly?

Feel free to attach your base-map and also the file out of your Aim. We can then take a look at the settings.

Scott

Thanks for the files, you are correct, I can't see the oil and fuel pressure parameters in your log file, I think this is because it is an ECU log file and not a PCLog file.

Looking at the values coming off the AN Volt channels in the log I can not see any problems. 

The only difference I'm noticing in the dash setup file is that the 'High Scale' in your file is 40, where-as on the default Link LCC setup it looks to be 4. I'm not quite sure how (or even if) this changes anything. It could be worth trying to set this value to 4, or something between 4 and 40.

Scott

40.thumb.PNG.9155422dec448d6d76b1dcf98d9

Edited by Scott
added an image.

Have tried 4 and 10 'High Scale' there was not any difference.
It could be something wrong with the cable from the ECU to aim?
We have made a new cable, others were broken at the connector to the ECU. It is something specielt with original cable?

has attach a  PCLog file

Jonas

test1.llg

If you are getting other data coming through from the ECU ok I don't see how it could be a communication cable problem. There are a couple of ways of diagnosing this:

1. Get hold of a CAN Capture tool and examine the CAN bus data to see if the data is being sent correctly from the ECU. Or

2. Substitute the Aim with another one. Do you know anyone you could borrow an Aim dash from temporarily?

Scott