GP RPM LIMIT

AbbeyMS

When using a GP Limit as a safety trip would be a good idea to allow the RPM limit value to be a latched value RPM wise. Say using a fuel pressure trip , once it has tripped the Status to lower the RPM limit it will latch this RPM level until the Ignition power has been cycled?

This will confirm to the driver that there is an issue. At the moment it will just bounce on the low RPM limit until the differential fuel pressure falls back to the correct level then the RPM level will fall back to the normal RPM level.

Basically like the Syvecs  trip set up.

Would be good when setting up and using a lean trip GP Limit

I like to make some additional suggestions:

In the past it happened several times that customers  haven't realised that a GP limit has been activated and have wrongly changed spark plugs and coils. There should be some optical permanent warning when a GP limit has been activated. So I would suggest that the dashlight turns on permament when a GP limit or MAP limit has been activated.

Another problem I came across: A GP Limit can potentially dangerously unsettle the car during hard cornering or drifting.  

So i like to see a GP RPM limit that slowly increases cut level over time. 

Another strategy would be an additional setting for a lateral G-force maximum threshould. So GP limt may not be activated until lat. G-force goes below a certain value. Means cut is only applied at the straight. 

23 hours ago, mapper said:

I like to make some additional suggestions:

In the past it happened several times that customers  haven't realised that a GP limit has been activated and have wrongly changed spark plugs and coils. There should be some optical permanent warning when a GP limit has been activated. So I would suggest that the dashlight turns on permament when a GP limit or MAP limit has been activated.

Another problem I came across: A GP Limit can potentially dangerously unsettle the car during hard cornering or drifting.  

So i like to see a GP RPM limit that slowly increases cut level over time. 

Another strategy would be an additional setting for a lateral G-force maximum threshould. So GP limt may not be activated until lat. G-force goes below a certain value. Means cut is only applied at the straight. 

very much like Syvecs , okay if the ECU has built in G sensor or your inputting a G sensor number into the ECU. A trip delay would be the easiest way out I feel for simplicity.

Setting up a warning light would be pretty easy using a status input.

While I'm not familary with the syvecs strategy, I agree to use a permanent shout down strategy (until ign on/off) on a very high boost application and that is worth to implement beside other options. 

But I guess most customers are not going to like to have a 3000rpm limit all around the track just because there is fuel starrivation in one corner. I set up safety futures for oil and fuel pressure on every second instal. As good as it is from a safety standpoint, some customers have already been pissed off, because power was cut down during some  corners, which "ruined"  theire race. 

Is it possible to reset the rpm limt by a button press instead of IGN ON/OFF? This would be a good solution. 

The Thunder ECU has integrated G-force sensor, this brought me to the G-force strategy, but yes usually g-force is not available. So if we have to choise frome a solution I would prefer the solution Mark suggesed and the increasing RPM limit over time. 

Mark do you never had the problem that the instand high cut of a GP limiter has unsettled a car? 

And regarding the dash light. Yes it is possible to setup a simple status light for GP limit. But on Plugin instalation i don't like the hassles to wire in and mount a additional warning light. So I would like that the CEL light is turned on when a GP limiter was activated. At the same time the CEL function must still work when a fault code is present on the ECU.

On a Link G4+ ECU no not yet. Luckily the cars we run Thunders in both have Motec dashes with SLM shift lights fitted so we flag a warning before there is a cut from a GP limit.

It does need some more work I agree but the guys are moving forward but they need a little kick sometimes to hep them long the way...

Sure the Link Team does a fantastic job! Feedback from tuners could be a great value for developers.  This is the reason i often take the time to write suggestion to the wishlist.

Besides LINK's  GP limiting is already better than the global solution in Motec M1 ECUs...

58 minutes ago, mapper said:

And regarding the dash light. Yes it is possible to setup a simple status light for GP limit. But on Plugin instalation i don't like the hassles to wire in and mount a additional warning light. So I would like that the CEL light is turned on when a GP limiter was activated. At the same time the CEL function must still work when a fault code is present on the ECU.

I'm pretty sure you can do this part (without the latching) if you set a Virtual Aux to CE Light and the CE light Aux Output as a GP output that goes on with the Virtual Aux OR an Engine Limit.

Yes think this is going to work, but this turns on the light only very short (usually during hard cornering due to fuel or oil starivation), which is hard to see. And difficult for the driver to tell in the pit if the ligh turned on during cut or not.

Thus I would like that the CEL blinks for 5 or 10 seconds for example. Maybe there is a way with a lot of timers and virtual aux, but think that ends up to complicated for a future you like to use on every car. 

On 20/11/2017 at 4:29 PM, mapper said:

As good as it is from a safety standpoint, some customers have already been pissed off, because power was cut down during some  corners, which "ruined"  theire race. 

On race car I dont run any GP limit, just warnings for the driver is his call to lift if something goes wrong cause you dont want the engine to limit to 2000rpm on the final straight of a 3 hour race case the oil temp is high or the mixture went lean, is his call (at least in serious racing). But any guy on the street or a track day would be more than happy to safe the engine even if they lost there flying lap or the rolling race on the highway. 

A Dash is the way to go from this, is more expensive and probably something can be done for the next ecu to make this a little easy.

12 hours ago, Rossobianconero said:

On race car I dont run any GP limit, just warnings for the driver is his call to lift if something goes wrong cause you dont want the engine to limit to 2000rpm on the final straight of a 3 hour race case the oil temp is high or the mixture went lean, is his call (at least in serious racing). But any guy on the street or a track day would be more than happy to safe the engine even if they lost there flying lap or the rolling race on the highway. 

A Dash is the way to go from this, is more expensive and probably something can be done for the next ecu to make this a little easy.

Sure thats something I talk about bevorhand with the customer how he want's the safety strategy applied. 

My point was more that it should be possible to deactivated the trip limiter via a simple push button until next limiting event or permament. 

So  conclusion is, the GP limit should act as follow: 

Start limiting by a low value and go to increase to higher limit within a few seconds (for example start by 20% limt and go up to 90% limit within 4 seconds), this prevents unsettling the car.  Then there should be an option if the limiter is only active during low fault status or  the limiter should stay active until it is acknowledge by a button or IGN ON/OFF. 

On top of that a second button should allow to deactivat all limiters except RPM limt ( so the driver can choise to finish the race, even if the engine gets damaged)