Racepak iq3 with Thunder

kielsubaru

Hi, 
I've installed a Haltech Iq3 Street dash with my Link Thunder, also purchased the CAN adapter harness. I've set it up and RPM, ECT, IAT, AFR etc are all working correctly. I've connected an Ethanol sensor to DI 1, which also shows Fuel Temp. They are reading correctly on my laptop however I can't get these parameters to show up in the Racepak software. Not sure if it's something I've missed in the ECU setup or dash software. 

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I must have forgot about this one.  

Racepak dont make it easy to receive anything outside of what they decided you want.  It is possible to set up a complete user defined stream but it is a major pain in the ass.  You cannot do it offline either - you can only change the CAN stuff when connected to a dash.

An easier solution may be to re-purpose a couple of the existing "EFI" channels if there are any that are too important to you.  Maybe baro or batt volts?

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

Sorry, I must have forgot about this one.  

Racepak dont make it easy to receive anything outside of what they decided you want.  It is possible to set up a complete user defined stream but it is a major pain in the ass.  You cannot do it offline either - you can only change the CAN stuff when connected to a dash.

An easier solution may be to re-purpose a couple of the existing "EFI" channels if there are any that are too important to you.  Maybe baro or batt volts?

I had considered changing some of the existing channels, you are correct baro and volts aren't important to me. How do you go about modifying these channels?

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, Adamw said:

So I've spent a bit of time on this over the past couple of weeks and I still can't seem to get it working correctly. The channels that are labelled "EFI EthTemp" and "EFI Eth%" read Baro Press and Battery Voltage like they did originally except they are labelled differently. I'm not sure what else you changed in my configuration. 

There's a couple of Motec webinars that will give you a bit of the basic fundamentals:

This one:  https://youtu.be/SowbD_09b48

A lot of the same stuff is repeated in this one, but about the first half has some good basics:  https://youtu.be/2m34nQ4i6KQ

In your case above we are sending a compound message, which will make more sense once you have watched these.

• 1 month later...

So Adam, it is possible to get the Racepak to read additional information from the ECU instead of having to go around it directly from the sensor to the Racepak IQ3?  That's always been a headache for us where we're using 6 EGTs for our outboard motors.  EGT isn't in the standard CAN stream, but I'd like to have the EGTs go into the ECU first and then send that data to the dash.  Currently we don't use the EGTs in the ECU because we need them in the dash for datalogging.  

7 hours ago, Scaryfast said:

So Adam, it is possible to get the Racepak to read additional information from the ECU instead of having to go around it directly from the sensor to the Racepak IQ3?  That's always been a headache for us where we're using 6 EGTs for our outboard motors.  EGT isn't in the standard CAN stream, but I'd like to have the EGTs go into the ECU first and then send that data to the dash.  Currently we don't use the EGTs in the ECU because we need them in the dash for datalogging.  

The ECU end is easy, Rackpak not so much...  If you have the Universal EFI VNet module or the IQ3S dash then both those are actually user configurable.  If you have one of the other VNet modules they are hardcoded and the end user cant change anything.

However, even the ones that are configurable are majorly painful to configure and Racepak's non-existent CAN documentation makes a lot of it guesswork.  I have done a custom stream on one before but it took hours to get right and I had the dash in front of me for trial and error.  I dont think I would be able to do it without a dash to test on.