M50TUB25 single vanos wiring

dynoiasi

Hello everybody,

I have a Link E36 plugin ECU running on a turbo M50TUB25 BMW E36 (single Vanos). Even though I read what some might consider a lot through the help files and through these forums, I am still uncertain whether vanos control works out of the box with this E36 plugin ECU or I need to do some wiring modifications.

I see in the E36 base map that comes with the Link software that AUX 3 is configured as CAM-Switch, I see in the logs that it is commanded as expected (ON between 2500 and 4500) and to be honest I think I feel something in the car dynamics at those exact thresholds. These lead me to believe that everything is setup and working.

On the other hand I see that VVT is turned off in the  configuration file... does VVT refer only to more complicated proportional control of the cam position? Also, I remember seeing somewhere in the help file that you need to modify something to the vanos wiring, like adding/removing some diodes... However I can only find again that information for the double Vanos engines....

To sum things up, I would really appreciate if someone could clarify: is wiring modification needed for the M50TUB25 single Vanos engine to work with the E36 plugin Link ECU or is everything ready to go?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Florin

The M50TU has what BMW call "two setting VANOS", it is not what Link refer to as "VVT", as it is not fully variable.  The two setting VANOS is just on or off, this is the CAM-switched function you see on Aux 3.  Because our E36 plug-in is only suitable for the M50TUB25 model, this is already set up and working in the basemap, no modifications needed.

You may need to adjust the on/off conditions to suit your engine modifications but that is all.

That is really good news,plug and play is always nice :) What got me confused was the fact that the "Cam control mode" in the VVT settings also has the possibility to choose "BMW single vanos", like there is still the possibility to control it via the VVT. Maybe it was just experimental?

4 hours ago, dynoiasi said:

What got me confused was the fact that the "Cam control mode" in the VVT settings also has the possibility to choose "BMW single vanos", like there is still the possibility to control it via the VVT. Maybe it was just experimental?

That is for the BMW engines that have variable valve timing on a single camshaft such as the S50B30.