MXS strada 1.2 loses connection

Kevin Tyler

Mxs 1.2 race dash will power up and display when key is in accessory mode. s13 sr20det g4+ plug in ecu. Once the ignition is on, dash loses connection and flashed link screen and single red light. Usb connection lost sounds on computer when issue happens. Anyone ran into this or know a fix?

best guess without doing any checks... either your key barrel has an issue with the ign output, or you have a badly damaged/corroded ground somewhere and the additional current draw from fuel pumps etc that kick on when you switch the key to ign causes everything to drop out.

Easiest place to start is unplug the link, stick paperclips (or something that fits easily without bending contact) into the 2x pins that are ign 12v and ground, then put a multimeter across them. flick the key to on and make sure you see 12-14v across those 2 pins. If its more like 4-8v then you need to start running voltage drop tests on the wiring to the ecu, across the main relay, and from that ground to battery negative. If you see nothing at all, then verify the switch/relay that the power should be coming from, but id be suspcious of your ignition key switch.

Ok so before I saw this reply, the dash display only freaks out when the Can harness is connected to the ecu. I can turn the ignition to the run position with the Can harness unplugged and it doesnt freak out. I triple checked the can harness wiring and it is correct. Im starting to think there needs to be a resistor wired in but the harness to the dash is pretty short. 

• 1 year later...