MX5X in NA6 Miata with VVL engine (BP6D)

hung_lo

I have a BP6D 1.8 VVL engine to install in a 1991 Miata.

I was wondering if the MX5X will support VVL and what additional components I will need (expansion loom - XSL?)
I will be using the original Miata harness and adding plugs/wiring for the additional components.

I've been recommended by all who have done this swap to use MS3, but I prefer Link products as I am more familiar and have had 0 issues with them in prior vehicles.

Thank you in advance.

I don't have any experience with that particular motor but you should just need to connect your trigger 1 to the crank sensor (I assume the 1.8vvt motor has a crank trigger unlike the earlier 1.6 with cam sensors only) and trigger 2 to your cam sensor. Connect an aux (one of aux1-10, aux ign5-8 or aux inj5-8) and a switched power wire to the vvt solenoid. That should be all you need to do specifically for the vvt wiring.

You might have to add wires to the loom for inj3&4 to run sequential fuel as they are connected to the ECU header but the earlier vehicles don't use them and so might not have wires connected to those pins.

Other than that have a look through the plugin pinout and the loom in your car to make sure you have all the wires you need to do what you want, you may even be able to use another pin like aux7 (purge) for your vvt control instead of adding an expansion loom.

One final note, the factory wiring for the early mx5s has the MAF turning on the Fuel pump so you may want to rewire that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 4:47 PM, hung_lo said:

I have a BP6D 1.8 VVL engine to install in a 1991 Miata.

I was wondering if the MX5X will support VVL and what additional components I will need (expansion loom - XSL?)
I will be using the original Miata harness and adding plugs/wiring for the additional components.

I've been recommended by all who have done this swap to use MS3, but I prefer Link products as I am more familiar and have had 0 issues with them in prior vehicles.

Thank you in advance.

I have a couple of customers with the 1.8 VVT engine, they run great on the LinkG4+ wiring ecu. And they upgrade from the MS ECU actually, one of them because of a faulty regulator on the alternator. Without warning the alternator start to make spikes of voltage, and burn the MS ecu... We wire in the Link (without knowing about the problem), after just a few seconds of the first start, the engine shutdown. Looking at the log, we saw voltage of over 18V, the ecu cut the fuel and save everything, the ecu never burn like the MS. I have work with MS ecu, and have customers with them on, I really don´t like it...