'In Driving Gear' status not changing

Eric S

According to the PCLink's help file, the conditions for 'In Driving Gear' status to show 'Yes' are:

Gear position is Reverse (R), Drive (D), High (H), Low (L), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 and the Clutch Switch is not active and the Neutral/Park Switch is not active.

My car has two switches (transmission neutral switch and clutch pedal switch) wired in series, so when:

• In gear & clutch pressed = 0
  • Neutral & clutch pressed = 0
  • Neutral & clutch de-pressed = 0
  • In gear & clutch de-pressed = 1

Currently configured two digital inputs:

• DI3 = Neutral/Park (wired in, and status changes accordingly as per above)
  • DI7 = Clutch (actual wiring doesn't exist, configured this way to make Clutch input to show as 'Inactive').

Since 'In Driving Gear' status is not changing even when both 'Clutch' and 'Neutral/Park' status say inactive, in what ways can I use 'In Driving Gear' status? It looks like I still need gear detection (R, D, 1, 2 etc).

image.png.88646d87514a8a73f087ae2aa186aed1.png

I'm trying to use 'In Driving Gear' as speed lockout on 'Idle Speed Control Setup' to reduce the idle dip when clutch is pressed from a moderate rpm (say >3000rpm). The wheel speed sensor is very erratic due to worn speedo cable.

Yes "in gear" needs both a gear position and the clutch/neutral to be not active.  If your speed is too erratic for idle lockout or gear detection you can possibly fix it with math as per this users post:  

Or you can set gear detection to analog and just fudge the error settings so it is always in 1st gear or whatever.  

Thank you, got it to work by configuring gear detection to analog and set source to AV12 (which doesn't have pin out on MX5 G4X anyway and won't go beyond ~0.02V), and set Gear 1 = 0.5V with +/- 1V tolerance. Nice work around.

Tried the math block to average out the erratic speed reading, averaging made it better, but still it would occasionally display 300 km/h or something when travelling at 40km/h. Will be replacing the speedo cable soon.