Issues with firmware 4.9.3

quattrofrank

Hi

After innstalling release 4.9.3 I experienced problems with the fueling. If the car is in idle, about every minute its goes lean (0.1 afr every half second or so) until it goes to 19.4afr and almost stalls out before stabilising at 14.0afr. Everything that has to do with fuel correction (wideband etc) is turned off, no difference when is activated either.

Went back to the 4.7.. software.. no issues.

I use Vipec v88.

What could be wrong? I have just swapped mye lucas 1260cc low impedance with the new bosch 1700cc saturated injectors (have adjusted the fuelmap accordingly and fixed the injector setup)

Another question: I have ecu serial number 5091, and to be able to use can bus i need to have a serial number of 10.000 or higher? Is the hardware mod complicated? Is it something that can be fixed locally?

Hi

If you could email the maps through we can have a look at both to find the difference.

If you can get a PC log whist it is doing it would also be great make sure to log all parameters.

[email protected]

The CAN mod is not too bad but would require good surface mount component removal experience.

A new error, now I cant even get into the map when I`m offline. Tried to remove everything both software and usb drivers and reinstalled several times.

When trying to open a map file in the vts software I get the following message: An object has no name(MemLoc=4397, CRover Num=2877)

Cant connect to the car and now the idle is even worser than before.

I suspect that maybe its something hardware related, I have never had any problems with both VTS and the vipec module before switching to saturated injectors over the Peak and hold injectors I had before. I have of course adjusted the injector setup to reflect the new injectors

I have seen that same strange error a couple of years ago.

Firstly, the CANT CONNECT ISSUE,

Can you confirm the ViPEC USB lead is being recognised by your laptop under hardware properties.

Confirm it's USB PORT number setting.

Confirm you are using that USB Port number in VTS.

Also make sure that you have the USB lead pluged into the correct port on the ECU,

I have seen this before.

Secondly, the strange error message,

I think from memory i would get that error message if,

I created a tune file on new version software.

I then swapped back to earlier version software and tried to open a tune file that was created on a newer version software.

Check that your MAP/FILE is stored in the VTS FOLDER, MAPS.

I have seen that same strange error a couple of years ago.

Firstly, the CANT CONNECT ISSUE,

Can you confirm the ViPEC USB lead is being recognised by your laptop under hardware properties. <-- Yes

Confirm it's USB PORT number setting. <-- Yes

Confirm you are using that USB Port number in VTS. <--Yes

Also make sure that you have the USB lead pluged into the correct port on the ECU,<--Yes, I can sometime connect the ecu. But it disconnects, especially when trying to use quick tune. I have also a AIM dash (which I disconnect everytime I use the VTS Software) ,this works fine.

I have seen this before.

Secondly, the strange error message,

I think from memory i would get that error message if,

I created a tune file on new version software. <-- That is probably the case. I have tried so many different versions of vts and firmware. I guess my only chance is to use the 4.9.4 software and firmware and try to find out the strange idling issues.

I then swapped back to earlier version software and tried to open a tune file that was created on a newer version software.

Check that your MAP/FILE is stored in the VTS FOLDER, MAPS.

Tried some more yesterday and I belive the Issue could be in my computer.

Tried to upload firmware 4.9.3, no problems. Started to adjust the fuel table to compensate for my new injectors, after a few minuts I got an bluescreen. It said: "Too many request" or something like that (also alot of disconnects during tuning)

If theres issues with computer, could that lead to a corrupted firmware on the ecu? Every time I upload firmware or maps I get different issues, so maybe its all down to my computer?

I run 64bits windows 7, but I have done that since I installed the vipec, never seen any problems before.

Guest filin

I have the bug like after 4.9.1: when I download map my knock become-OFF and Knock status-DI5Pull. It happens even with V88...To avoid it I do all changes in Online.

Also Lambda closeloop auto mode does not work when I use Fuel pressure. If I change fuel press on GP input all work well, but I am not able to see this GP input at AiM dash. I add CAN AN GP input in the CAN communication but it does not work. Please help. I want have close loop and have GP input on the dash)))

Hi quattro

This could be due to electrical noise on the USB cable. If it only causes issues whilst the engine is running this is a likely cause.

I also suggest working through the "Solving Communication Problems" section in the help file.

Filin

Copied from help file

Note: If you are using a V44 or a Plug-In ECU, knock control will NOT work while the DI5 pull up is turned on. The pullup must be turned off in the DI5 setup menu. If the device wired to DI5 requires a pullup then an external pullup resistor (4.7 kOhm) must be wired. If the DI5 pullup resister is turned on, then knock control will be forced off immediately.

The Fuel pressure issue is know and has been resolved. The fix will be in the next release of firmware.

Guest filin

Simon,

bug with Knock is on V88 in my drag EVO. Soon I will be able to try it with V44. But why it is angry on DI5 in V88 I dont know... How can I download map without this problem?

I have the bug like after 4.9.1: when I download map my knock become-OFF and Knock status-DI5Pull. It happens even with V88...To avoid it I do all changes in Online.

Also Lambda closeloop auto mode does not work when I use Fuel pressure. If I change fuel press on GP input all work well, but I am not able to see this GP input at AiM dash. I add CAN AN GP input in the CAN communication but it does not work. Please help. I want have close loop and have GP input on the dash)))

I do have a vipec fuel pressure sender and I use closed loop lambda and AIM dash. But seen on the post further down in the thread its a update covering this pretty soon.

Hi quattro

This could be due to electrical noise on the USB cable. If it only causes issues whilst the engine is running this is a likely cause.

I also suggest working through the "Solving Communication Problems" section in the help file.

Filin

Copied from help file

Note: If you are using a V44 or a Plug-In ECU, knock control will NOT work while the DI5 pull up is turned on. The pullup must be turned off in the DI5 setup menu. If the device wired to DI5 requires a pullup then an external pullup resistor (4.7 kOhm) must be wired. If the DI5 pullup resister is turned on, then knock control will be forced off immediately.

The Fuel pressure issue is know and has been resolved. The fix will be in the next release of firmware.

Ok, I will try some more. I will also call my tuner and ask if theres a possibility to get a new cable. I will also try another computer.

I got a tips that the spark plugs I use is not protected for electronic interference. I use Bosch f3cs spark plugs.

Anyone heard about this? I switched over to theese plugs last year when I mapped for E-85, I have made several connections after that, and also no problems when tuning with the spark plugs when the E-85 map was made.

Sometimes it is advisable to run resistor plugs to help with noise in the comms, which can lead to the comms link between the ECU and laptop to drop off line.

This only happens when the engine is running obviously.

If you have run these same plugs previously without issues, i would doubt that this would be your problem.

But none the less, try and source a set of equivalant plugs to what you have but in resistored type and try them, see if the issue is corrected or changes in anyway.

If it fixes the issue, tune with the resistored plugs and then refit your non resistored plugs after tuning is complete.

NOTE, After doing a FIRMWARE UPGRADE it is ALWAYS advisable to recheck all of your settings in your MAP (TUNE FILE).

Alot of data gets transferred and manipulated during the process, selected items can change SOMETIMES.

I use Windows 7 - 32 bit without issues.

However, when i first setup my new laptop i was getting similar issues as you have.

I found the USB port had a power saving mode applied to it.

After disabling it, i never had anymore issue.

I connect to many ViPEC ECU's and do lots of Firmware updates without problems.

Ok I will try to source a replacement just to try. Is there any way to compare theese plugs up against other so that I can find suitable replacement with resistor?

And with regards to your other comment, I always try to compare the MAP`s , but there should be a tool where you could load two different tune files and compare them up against each other. Its really difficult to compare two maps, because there is alot of information conatined on each file. I cant remember all to number in the fuel and ignition table as well as all the other settings in my head.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Reread my previous post, i have added more info while you were typing your above reply.

As for the equivalant sparkplug in resistored form, your parts shop should have a cross reference guide in there sparkplug catalogue.

Checking your file after doing a firmware update, i am referring more to the configuration side of things, cam and crank sensors,trigger edges etc,etc,etc.

I check all of these things and then finally have a look at my fuel and ignition tables.

NORMALLY these values dont change, but i just give them a quick once over.

• 1 month later...

I found the problem with the leaning issue, its only present when I have the closed loop lambda control active. Is their any reason why this is only present when using closed loop lambda control on 4.9.3? I have always used the closed loop lambda control, but never had this issue before.

The leaning out issue is most likely due to an issue that happens if you have fuel pressure set up as an input.

If you change the input to be a GP pressure input the closed loop will function like normal. (known issue will be fixed in next release)

For the speed check the ECU reading, If this is correct you will need to adjust the AIM logger to suit.

Thanks, I have set up fuel pressure as an input so thats probably the case then. I`m not sure if its possible to visualise the fuel pressure on the AIM dash when its set as a GP input?

When it comes to the speedo, if its reading correctly then I cant understand why it has changed in the first place? Second, its not possible to adjust anything on the AIM dash, I can only choose the input directly from the ecu. Meaning its not possible to do any calibration/modification in the AIM dash when the signal comes directly from the ecu