LS3 Start Up Issues - Link Storm G4+

Ash_s14LS3

Hi,

I am having some issues starting up my LS3 in my S14 and was hoping someone could help me sort this out 

If possible maybe by remote access to my computer to check config or I can send it to you to have a look & confirm my configuration is correct etc as the engine won’t start..

This engine and ECU combo came out of another S14 and was working fine before the removal of it so I assume the previous tune/setup is still on the ecu from what I understand 

I have put the engine in the car with all the loom connected to the sensors for the LS3. I have downloaded the PC Link G4 + and got it connected. 

Everything seems to be working, in regards to oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp readings etc

i have been doing some reading on the forums to ensure the Ecu setup on the Ecu was correct and from what I understand and could see all seems right 

I have tried to crank it over and it doesn’t want to fire up, by the sound of the motor it sounds like a spark related or something stopping it within the Ecu 

Looking in PC Link - I have no fault codes coming up,

I have fuel and I have injector tested and have readings from them and they look good

i have checked the settings for firing order, triggers, Ecu, checked over most of the settings and compare to setups I seen on here for LS3 

Everything looked fine from what I understood 

the triggers 1 / 2 work when cranking, i have checked the setup to what was previously setup and looked what other people have on the forums and all looked good there 

I noticed battery volts drop abit to around 9 when cranking goes up and down slightly 

My Trigger 1 / 2 ( V ) is 1.50 - reading up about this and this isn’t correct?

My Engine speed aren’t going above 100 either and from what understanding they have to be in 150 - 500 ish mark

i have been using this guide also to ensure everything is correct - 

https://linkecuhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001810341-My-engine-won-t-start

I get to part 3 & I can’t get the engine speed past 100

1. Engine Speed should show a value, anything from 150-500 is a good start. It probably shouldn't be over 1500, and it certainly shouldn't jump erratically between 0 and 200 or 200 and 4000 for example. )

I think it has something to do with the trigger calibration? Correct me if I am wrong hopefully someone can push me in the right direction to get her running

PS- will upload trigger scope shortly

Thanks In advance

Ash

• Ash_s14LS3 changed the title to LS3 Start Up Issues - Link Storm G4+

Attach a log of it cranking, a trigger scope, and a copy of your tune.  

But from what you have written above I would say it is a wiring issue.  It should crank somewhere closer to 200RPM and batt voltage dropping to 9V ties in with the low cranking RPM.  Assuming the battery and starter are in good condition, then maybe try some jumper leads dirrect from battery to starter to confirm there is a good electrical path to the starter.

Hi Adam,

hope all is well & thanks for your response

I will try direct start from a battery  before I upload the trigger scope and the tune in the morning 

In regards to - battery it is brand new and starter isn’t very old came with the crate motor  ( also have a brand new hi torque mini starter i can put on to eliminate starter concerns if required ) 

Ash

Yeah you still only have a cranking RPM of about 90 and batt voltage drops to 8.5V, so still something is not happy there.  Does the engine sound very slow cranking?  Is it tight to turn over by hand?

Otherwise most of the basic nescessities of life appear to be present.  But you didnt attach the triggerscope or map.  

Sorry Adam,

I should of been more detailed with that attachment and what the situation was of the log

That log isn’t direct to the battery, it’s on the kill switch with the rest of the components that are on 

I have changed the power cable to the starter to a 80 gauge to see if that helps at all as the cable I had wasn’t as thick

The engine sounds middle range for speed, doesn’t sound slow enough where I am concerned 

In regards to turning it over by hand yes it’s got compression 

I will upload a recording of the log and you will be able to hear the motor turning over in the video

trigger scope incoming today 

Sounds pretty dead.  If you pull a plug do you actually have a spark when cranking?   It would also be worth trying a squirt of starter fliud as this can quickly eliminate a fuel issue off the list of possibilities.

This is the video that a match to the attached log - 

Let me know if the video worked or not.

I do have spark thinking i will replace the spark plugs for some fresh ones.

( Just noticed on that video - ECU Drops and Reconnects - why do you think that is happening? )

Ok, so it sounds like there are some signs of life in that video and it is not too far off running.  It looks like you get most action when throttle is wide open?  So it could be fouled plugs or too much fuel.  I guess it could also be too little fuel and the extra dose of accel fuel when you open the throttle helps.

So I agree, try some fresh plugs, and then try adjusting the master fuel up and down by a relatively big chunk to see if it runs longer with more or less fuel.

Ok,

Some progress was made today - new plugs installed / got spark well on two cylinders lol

Ignition 4 & 8 work fine, 1, 2, 3, 5 & 7 coil packs tested on ignition 4 and coil packs works fine 

It seems the plug connectors for the coil packs - 1, 2, 3, 5 & 7 aren’t connecting completely or are damaged, will inspect this more tomorrow and most likely replace them with new ones 

hopefully this will fix my issues...

progression...