Engine Fans not operating - Thunder ECU

bondy505

Hi,

My engine fans in an SR20DET Dtasun 510 track car have stopped operating with no known changes.

Fans on AUX-3, Function = Engine Fan 1, low polarity.

Engine fan has Non Driven Speed Lockout = 0,

RPM ZeroTimeout=30 sec

Engine Fan 1 = 87deg C, 2 deg Hysterisis, no AC

Output runs a relay to drive two fans.

Was operating, and with no known change, is now not.

Earthing relay will make fans operate.

Lowering temp to less than ambient does not affect it.

ECT is showing as 29 (OK for Brisbane)

Water Pump (AUX-2) operates in a similar fashion, and is set for 60, so dropping below ambient turns it on.

Can see A2 turning on and off, but changing temp shows no output change on A3.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Bondy

Bond Thunder ECU Fan issue.docx

Sorry I don't seem to have last log from racing, only from shed on weekend where temp didn't get high enough. Prior to last event on 12/13 Feb I had it all operating fine in shed, then had no fans so we made them operate all the time as a get thru the weekend fix.

G4+ Thunder Datsun1600 SR20 405HP.pclr Log 2022-03-14 8;41;46 pm.llg

Can you do a log with the engine running and fan 1 set to say 20°C.  Set up looks like it should work ok to me.  I loaded your map into a Thunder here and it works correctly.   A PC log would be better than a ECU log.

Adam,

Did a run this evening.  Hope this the PC Log you wanted.  Not good with logging.  But fans worked with engine running and changed the temp a few times, and seemed to work as advertised.  When I turned engine off (via a switch we use for Ign), which removes ECU power, I turned it back on and the Water Pump worked, but fans did not.  Hopefully you see that towards the end. It is a little perplexing beacuse it was working in the shed, engine running prior to last meeting, but at the meeting noticed not working after 2 practices I think.  So didn't know if they had ever been on that morning, just that it was hot and they weren't on in pits.  Anyway thanks for your help, Bondy 

Log 2022-03-15 7;21;44 pm.llg

The log shows it is working correctly.

8 hours ago, bondy505 said:

When I turned engine off (via a switch we use for Ign), which removes ECU power, I turned it back on and the Water Pump worked, but fans did not.

The fan wont run unless the engine is running - is that what you mean?  The log shows the fan is on when the engine is started the 2nd time.  

fHDr9Cf.png

2 minutes ago, bondy505 said:

Yes,  but previously it worked with IGN on and temp set below ambient, and engine not running.  Anyway I will check again Friday.

With the engine off it will only run for the time you have set in the "RPM Zero timeout", 30secs in your case.

j8a1FYq.png

OK, so is it relevant that when I turn the engine off, it also kills the computer?

Even so I am sure we were able to test the fans with the engine not running, as we can do with the water pump, by reducing the temp below ambient.

Cheers