Choosing the right "Sync Mode".

QE1984

Evo IX head with stock cam sensors, one tooth on trigger 2 on the exhaust cam. 12-1 Kiggly crank sensor on trigger 1. The car works and starts on "cam pulse 1x" but from what I've read, it should be able to run on "cam level". Triggerscope looks good, no sync errors, but I'm just curious why it doesn't work on cam level, and if that's an indication of another setup issue. 

When using cam level, I get sync errors and notice I'm only firing on opposing cylinders, like 1/3 or 2/4, depending on trigger offset. 

Again, if it's working, I'm not too worried, it just seems strange that cam level doesn't work. 

Thanks

Cam pulse 1X is the correct mode for you.  Cam level only works if the crank wheel has a missing tooth and the cam wheel is high in the missing tooth area for 1 rev and low in the missing tooth area on the next rev.  A cam level wheel will typically be high for 360deg and low for 360deg.

Fair enough. It is a 12 minus 1 crank and the large section of the stock cam pickup is still present, which is maybe 100 cam degrees, or 200 crank degrees. Would there be any benefit to cutting it down or just leave it as it is?

Yes we cut one off to work with our previous ecu setup. If getting a new kiggly wheel and multitooth cam wheel would provide better results then we could go that way, but if there is no benefit, then it sounds like we're good to go. 

Yeah, what you have now is a pretty good option, the missing tooth allows the ecu to sync within about 360deg crank rotation, the stock kiggly 12T system would potentially need up to 720deg to sync.  With a missing tooth crank wheel the cam tooth is not used at all once running provided the crank signal is good.