Sharing an Inductive Crank trigger

20v Jim

Hi all,

I need to run a V44 on my VW 2.0l TSI engine along side the standard Bosch Direct injecton ECU and would like to know the If using the same crank trigger is a good idea?

We have done something like this before with a V88, but the Factory ecu was there just to keepn the dash and abs happy. That worked fine, But this time the original ECU will running the engine and the Vipec will be used as an additional fuel controller, boost controller, output driver and data logger.

I really would like to know if this a bad idea or common pratice and the reasons why?. My reason for me to use the same sensor would be incase the sensor failed the engine would shut down or go into limp mode!! (Good in my eyes). If using seperate sensors for each ecu and say the Vipec one fails, its goodbye engine without the extra 250bhp's worth of fuel!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Jim

Sharing the crank / cam sensors is normally no problem at all.

If it running a reluctor style there are no changes to a conventional configuration. If it uses Hall or Opto you will need to be sure to leave the pullups off in the ECU.

The other catch is that the trigger pattern will need to be one that is supported.

Also be aware the factory system will likely do all it can to shut things down if it thinks it is seeing too much airflow or boost.