V44 6cyl wasted spark 0-180dg spark deviation

Kristian G

Hi.

Anyone ever had an issue where there is a few degrees deviation between the 0 and 180dg spark on a wasted spark setup?

Anyone got any troubleshooting tips?

RB25DET, std CAS, all triggers seems to work fine as logged, all incoming/outgoing signals steady, engine seems to run ok, but the 0-180dg spark deviation of about 3degrees are consistant over rpm range.

Cant tell if "0" spark is "correct" og "180" is, or if "correct" is average/in the middle of the two.

Looking with the timing light connected at cyl 1 i "see" 14 marks instead of 7, paired two and two about 3 degrees deviation.. again ignition is steady over rpms with the same deviation between spark/w.spark

Any insights or experience with similar higly appricated.

Will attempt to replace the cas and check similarity of result by using pickup from the other cylinders...

Regards

Hi,

where have you connected your inductive pickup for the timing light.

I don't use the TIMING LOOP in the RB loom.

I always remove No.1 coil and fit a HT lead from the coil to the sparkplug to check the timing correctly on RB engines.

I have been caught out before using the timing loop.

Regards

Dave

Sounds really strange... So if I understand correctly, on your WS setup the coil at cyl 1 & 6 are paired and there is 3 crank-degrees offset from these two coils running from the same IGN 1 output using the same (one) timing light triggering from the HT-lead?

I have seen this on single coil on plug , but running in pairs off one driver. I bet if you used a proper wasted spark coil pack you wouldn't have the problem. Try swapping the coils about and see what happens!! see if the advance moves with the coil!

Jim

• 3 weeks later...