M50 Trigger Scope

kdf8454

For the past year I have been running an M50B25 non-vanos bottom end with an M52 head/cam trigger and hall effect cam sensor. Car has been running great on the current tune up to this point. 

I have been building an engine on the side getting it read to put in for this year. That engine is an M52B28 bottom end with an M50 non-vanos head/cam trigger wheel. 

I recently put the 'built' motor in and copied over my existing map with adjustments for the larger injectors and displacement. I'm having some issues with the triggers. I wanted to keep the wiring harness the same, so I modified the hall effect cam sensor to work with the non-vanos head and cam trigger wheel. I'm hoping I can make this work, but if not I will put the reluctor sensor in and run a separate wire to the ECU. 

This is what I currently have for a trigger scope while cranking. Looks like the crank sensor is working fine, however timing light is showing -103 degrees trigger offset to get the timing to zero. I was expecting -84 degrees based on the non vanos crank trigger wheel... is this due to the reference timing (currently set to 15 degrees)? Is the cam pulse overlapping with the missing teeth on the crank signal an issue? It's giving me trigger count errors, although it recognizes that it is getting a signal from both the cam and crank triggers. 

I do need to change the signal from cam level to cam pulse 1x to accommodate for the cam trigger wheel on the non-vanos head. I have not done that yet and I think this should be okay with the hall effect sensor, but I'm not 100% on that. 

Any help is appreciated!

IMG_1509.jpg

Did some digging around yesterday and figured things out. I have a cranking timing advance that was causing the strange offset on the trigger wheel. -84 was the correct value when the car was running and matched the idle timing advance. 

Cam signal was fine once I swapped to cam pulse 1x and the trigger errors stopped once the car was running. 

I thought I replied to this yesterday but dont know what happened to it.  The only thing I wanted to mention was your rising cam edge is close to the sync point.  If you currently have trigger 2 edge set to falling it should be fine as is, if it is set to rising it would be best to change to falling or change the sync tooth to 10 or so.