S50B30 VVTI Settings and Issue

ryancyates

Initially when performing the VVTI calibration for the Euro S50B30 I selected falling edge for the trigger, it may have been the default.  While I was able to get a signal, tooth angles and no error count at idle and while revving, I would get a "Tooth Tolerance" error, lose Vanos function and the car would run poorly while driving until I cycled the key and all would be fine again until I repeated this process.  I had caused me to chase my tail for most of the day because the car would idle and cruise well under 3,000rpm but then just start falling on its face without me realizing why.

I have logs, scope and file available if necessary.

I switched to trigger from rising edge and did another calibration with new values and so far have had no loss of signal or Vanos function.

I'm just wondering if rising edge is correct and I should continue with tuning while monitoring the Vanos function and signals or if there's an error in my set up that needs addressing.

These are the old falling edge values

12.1    102.1  192.8    282.3    372.4    462.9    552.2    642.1

These are the new rising edge values

59.8    150.2    239.8    329.3    419.9    510.3    600.2    689.6

I notice the large difference between tooth one on the falling vs rising edge calibration.

I'm still learning the Link method of sensor inputs so I apologize if this is basic stuff.

VVT.llgx S50 Tune.pclx

The ECU starts looking for cam edges after the crankshaft sync tooth, when you had the cam set to falling edge, your 1st tooth offset of "12.1", means that particular tooth edge is only 12 degs away from the sync tooth, so if you advance the cam more than 12deg it would cross the sync tooth and effectively "disappear" to the micro.  So you would need to choose a more appropriate sync tooth if you want to use the falling edge.  If its a hall effect sensor I would be happy to leave it as rising edge, if it is a VR sensor then you really want to use falling edge to be accurate so you would need to use a different sync tooth.  

CsV87ov.png