Ford V6 3.7L cyclone VCT trigger settings

Kellyjmcd

Hi there,

my friend and I are having trouble getting his Open wheel racecar to fire and start. Verified spark, removed plug and tested ignition. verified injector location and function using injector test. AFAIK it is syncing, trigger 1 and trigger 2 are both “on” when cranking with 0 trigger errors. Fuel pressure is set at 43.5 PSI, stock 19# injectors. The only thing I can think of is a trigger problem or a trigger offset set incorrectly. Right now it’s at 0. Thanks in advance anyone who can help us out! Can post a tune and log once I get access to his laptop again.

Kelly M

Both this most recent scope and the first one shows trig 1 and trig 2 sensors are wired incorrect polarity.  So im not sure what you are up you with your jumper wires but it is not flipping polarity.  

You need to swap the +/- wires at the plug for the cam and crank sensor.  If you know the other 3 can sensors are wired the same way then you might as well swap those as well while you are at it (these other cams dont matter to make it run though).    

The pattern on the cam also dosnt match our "duratec VCT" trigger mode (the 4cyl duratech has 5 teeth on the cam) mode but I think it will probably still work (may take an extra rev to sync or may intermitantly mis-sync).  I will investigate that a bit later when I get time and advise.  Leave it as it for now.  

So, swap polarity on trig 1/2.  Reset base timing.  If still no signs of life then you are possibly sparking on the exhaust stroke, add or subtaract 360deg from your offset and try again.  

Adam, 

Thank you a ton. I will be back at the car on Monday so I will reverse polarity of these VR Sensors and get back to you after doing what you have said. Not sure why the second scope log didn’t change from the first… I had someone holding the jumpers on, but perhaps they didn’t have them on the right sides of the pins; anyway, I’ll try that Monday and report back! Thank you! 

Kelly M

Hi, Just an update! We did swap everything and reset base timing, it still wouldn't start, however would sync! but finding out our injectors were not working properly, we replaced them and have a running car now. Huge thank you!!!!

Kelly M