Diagnosing Crank No Start for first time startup

jmitash

I'm trying to get my 2JZGTE VVTi running for the first time and am having no luck.

Here's what I've checked so far:

• I'm getting 150 RPM while cranking, so I believe the ECU is not having timing issues
  • I've pulled out a coil pack and spark plug and watched them while cranking to verify there is a a spark. There was, but it looked a little week so I increased dwell time in the startup range and it seems to be better. Ignition test has good spark too.
  • I can hear the injectors while doing injector test mode with no fuel pressure. I can smell fuel from the exhaust manifold (no exhaust on yet) after cranking. I also do see ~3.7ms actual injector time from the ECU while cranking.
  • I see a light vacuum through the MAP sensor while cranking.

Any advice on how I can narrow the problem down? Appreciate the help.

Crank no start log.pclx

The VVTi camshaft has 3 teeth on it so multitooth/missing trigger with cam pulse 1X sync mode wont work unless you no longer have the VVT cams? 

Trigger mode should normally be 1JZ vvti mode for this engine.  

What do you have for coils/ignitors?

Hey Adam,

I do have VVTi cams still (Brian Crower 0311). Thanks for catching that, I'll give the 1JZ VVTi mode a try and report back.

Coils are Hitachi R35 coils.

---

That was it, thank you! I'm not sure how I missed that option, but obviously I did not understand the cam trigger settings too well either.