Understanding Evo Fans

graikas

Hello all,

The Evo owners already know that our cars have a small fan controller with 3 wires coming from the car to it. 2 blue wires (one of which is thinner, and a ground. From that controller 2 connectors go to each of the 2 fans.

The fans have 2 speeds, low and high. Below is my fan setup, my tuner configured both fans to turn on at the same ECT. My fans are Fan 1 and Fan 3, please ignore Fan 2, it's not used. 

My fans are not OEM, they are both Mishimoto.

How can I test the speeds using the PC software?

image.png.689150a7c8efdfb8bd6533abdbc28d32.png

Only 1 fan is connected to the fan control module capable of speed control (Aux 1), the condenser fan (Ign 4) is just connected to a standard relay, it operates as a single speed only (the factory ecu could switch between 2 speeds on the condenser fan). In our base map the main fain is just set up as on/off, not speed controlled.  

The main fan will run at full speed when above the enable temperature with the base map settings.  I will attach an example of how to do speed control below.

Change Engine fan 1 output to a virtual aux, enable a GP PWM and set its output to aux 1 with active state high.  Use the virtual aux as the Sw parameter - (so the fan will still turn on/off based on the "Engine Fan 1" temperature setting and hysteresis).  The stock ecu uses 3900Hz.  

Then in your PWM DC table you can set it up to vary speed however you like (100% = full speed, and I suggest you dont go lower than 25%).  In my example I have ECT on one axis and AC request on the other, so at 88°C the fan will run at 25% speed with AC off or 60% with AC on and the fan speed will ramp up if ECT continues to rise.  

xivrsQS.png

MT5HwKQ.png