LEM G3 Firmware upgrade

Alex R

Hey there i have a link g3 LEM that is still running the 1.7.1 firmware and am wanting to upgrade to the latest 1.9.2 firmware, does anybody know where or how i am able to do this? And if possible is there any things that may need to be rechecked or changed after the firmware has been updated? 

Cheers

It is pretty straight forward and intuitive from memory.  The updater is available in the G1/2/3 section at the bottom of this page: https://linkecu.com/software-support/pc-link-downloads/pc-link-legacy-software/

It will display the release notes before the update which lists what has changed, take note if it mentions any changes or fixes to a function that you are using, but mostly it is pretty specific bug fixes that will only affect a small amount of users, usually you wont need to do any tuning after the update.  

• 6 months later...

Sorry to Hijack this thread, I just tried to carry out an upgrade. Follow instructions to a tee. Got an error ( see pic). Now ECU is stuck in boot mode and cannot connect to it at all.

Not sure how to proceed. Pretty sure I didnt miss anything.

cheers

Mike

link error.png

That's not one I have seen before.  Did it get to the stage where it tells you to do a power cycle?  Are you doing it on the bench or is it still connected to a car/loom?  If it is still attached to a loom I would remove it from the car and try again with just power and ground pins connected only.  Does it still show in windows device manager?

No it failed after about 3 seconds from starting. This is on a bench with only power and ground. 

Still shows in device manager and shows no issue with drivers. Up until this point it has worked flawlessly (for a g3).

Retry 1.92 firmware update. Says Ecu running in boot mode and also fails after 3ish seconds with a very similar error.

Sorry Im not really sure of the issue here, I've only done a couple of G3's many years ago and it never gave me any drama.  One thought is there may be an issue with the VCP driver in windows 10 as it was from XP days.  The G4+ uses the same coms chipset however and that driver is much newer and known to work in win 10 so that is the next thing I would try.  I have attached them below, unzip then run the Link USB Driver Install_x64.exe (or *x86 for 32bit windows) to install them.  

Link G4+ USB Drivers.zip

Thanks for your help. I attempted this with new drivers and was met with the same result.

I also tried on a windows xp and windows 7 laptop using multiple cables, all with the same result.

I believe many moons ago when this ecu was updated to 1.92 the same thing happened, and it had to be sent to the tech guys.

Would it be possible to get a service request going?

I do appreciate the help.

Mike