BMW V8 VANOS configuration, two banks, two cam position sensors?

Aaron K

I'm working on setting up the VANOS/VVT for a BMW V8 engine, the M62TU. This has two solenoids on the intake cams only that are responsible for retarding the cam when activated.

I see that there is a "Single VANOS" in the configuration, which is close, but I'm trying to figure out the correct way to configure for:

- Two banks of cam position sensors (currently have cylinders 1-4 on the main trigger input). Not sure how to configure the second cam position sensor. These are hall effect sensors, so I believe they could be set into a digital input.

- How to control both intake cam solenoids for both banks. They are configured to two aux outputs separately.

Any insight would be appreciated.

User defined mode, number of banks = 2, 1 cam sensor will be connected to trigger 2, the other to DI1-4. 

The settings below in orange will be a starting point for tuning that will probably be close to working.

Once the engine is running, get it warmed up and hold it at fast idle, set the cam angle test to "calibrate" and it will populate the tooth offset tables and tooth counts then should set itself back to off if successful.  You can then tune the PID and base duty.  

laaElKG.png

13 hours ago, Aaron K said:

This has two solenoids on the intake cams only that are responsible for retarding the cam when activated.

Just so there is no confusion, the intake cams actually sit in their most retarded position when the solenoids are de-energised or unplugged.  This is often called "home position" and is "0" in your VVT target table.  They can only move in the advance direction from home and typically they start to move when the solenoid gets more than about 40%DC (base duty).  Advance is positive values in the VVT target table, so if you have say "20" in the VVT target table, this will be 20deg advance from the home position.