CAN interface between G4+ and G4X

Hurtenstein

I'm upgrading my plug in G4+ to a G4X. I originally had the CANJST cable for my wideband, with the external 12v supply wires.

I ordered a CANJST4 cable when ordering the G4X thinking it was needed, but the new ECU has 2x CAN1 ports. One being the same CAN1/RS232, 5 pin. The other the newer 4 pin.

Can I just use that older 5 pin arrangement CAN1 slot for my existing WB? What's the internal configuration for resistors with 2x CAN1 slots? ie, what happens if I use the second, 4 pin slot with the new cable for say a keypad at the same time? Or should I use CAN2 or daisy chain externally via the DTM4 plugs?

Which plugin is this with a 4 pin JST and a 5pin JST? I was under the impression they are all either both 5 pin (older plugins) or both 4 pin (newer plugins).

The pinout of the bottom board should be the same between your old plugin and new plugin so you should just be able to use the cables you had already.

Both CAN buses on the ECU have their own internal 120ohm resistor so you can use either for all devices (if all devices are running at the same bus rate) or you can split up the devices between the two.

I have just been informed that apparently this was done so that people could use either their old 5 pin or the new 4 pin. Technically if you are trying to use both plugs one of them shouldn't have a cable length from it of anymore than 15cm but it would probably be fine to use both CAN 1 plugs simultaneously.

I'll get the help manual updated to suit this as I was not aware the 5 pin connector was staying as well as the two 4 pin connectors being fitted.