2GR-FE Alternator Wiring and control.

Aqmar

Hi Admin,

Maybe this is a noob question. But how do we wire a 4 pin Denso Alternator (OEM) from a 2GR-FE engine so that we can utilize the Alternator control features offered by G4x? i am using Link G4x Xtreme with PDM (PMU16) and AiM MXG dash. I realize the new G4x has Alternator control features. 

What happens now, my alternator is only charging its bare minimum. Its' only charging around 13.3-13.4v at operating temperature. As the Toyota 2GR-FE wiring diagram attached here, the alternator is connected to the OEM ECU so it can regulate the charging. Based on my observation, Toyota set it by having the alternator to up its charging to around 14v- 14.3v especially during cruising. During idle is around 13.8v-13.9v, and when sudden accelerate from static or above certain rpm it doesn't charge to have the engine runs more fuel efficient. I believe the pin for the 4-pin connector based on the Toyota wiring diagram are as follows.

Pin 1 : Battery (through 7.5amp fuse)

Pin 2: Light at the dash

Pin 3: ECU

Pin 4: Ignition.

With the AiM Dash i no longer have the Lamp/LED at the dash. Should i wire it as below?:

Pin 1 : Output pin from PMU16 (15amp output)

Pin 2: ??

Pin 3: Aux Link G4x (PWM)

Pin 4: Ignition

Please correct me if i'm wrong. I know somewhere here in the forum has discuss about the ViPEC capability of managing the 2GR alternator (as the link shared below) but i'm not clear on the wiring and the G4x now has dedicated alternator control features.

Appreciate the advice and assistant here. I believe this will be very helpful to the community as well

2GR Alternator wiring.pdf

Which alternator do you actually have?  You show two different types here.  The document linked in the V88 forum post shows an alternator with an RLO terminal and no S terminal, so this is an ECU-controlled regulator.  However the PDF document that you attached shows an alternator that has a M terminal (load monitor) and an S terminal (Sense), this is not an ecu controlled alternator, the M terminal just reports electrical load to the ecu.  

Hi @Adamw,

Sorry for the confusion. I have double-checked the alternator from my side. The 2GR-FE engine in my MR2 now was from Right Hand Drive (RHD)  Toyota Alphard. The Alternator is rated 130amp. I have gathered the wiring diagram. The original wiring schematic for just the charging system taken from the manual consists of several pages. Therefore, for ease of reference for everyone reading here, I have combined it into one page and pasted the picture of the relevant connector on the same page. 

Based on this wiring diagram attached herewith, what I understand here is as follows:

Pin 1: RLO

Pin 2: Ignition

Pin 3: M (not sure what this means; does it just report to the ECU the electrical load, like what u explained above?)

Pin 4: Light at the dash

Am I right?

So, based on this diagram, how can we wire it to the Link G4x xTreme and PMU16? And how could I then proceed in the PC Link to control the alternator charging?

Alphard 2GRFE Alternator Wiring Diagram.pdf

IG. Connect to any ignition switched +12V source.  Note it doesnt need 10A like the fuse suggests, more like 0.2A.  

L.  Since your dash can do a warning light based on voltage, I would just connect this to the same source as IG, with a 500ohm 1W resistor inline instead of a lamp.

RLO. Connect to ecu aux output.

M. Not connected.  

For the ecu set-up, this is not what we call alternator control, this alternator still does all the control internally, the ecu just needs to "tell it" what voltage it wants using PWM DC.  

I would try a GP PWM set up like below.  Adjust the GP PWM 1 DC value up or down until you get the voltage you want.  

USVt0sC.png

• 6 months later...

Hi @Adamw

Thank you for your response. I have been enjoying this alternator setup for quite sometime now. I do realize that when the ECU 'instructs' the alternator, I can see an increase in load, especially during idle. I know it is not that much. Below is how I set it up:

image.png.c6d9269641f1295a604466a5325bbe3b.png

image.png.cb17acf95bf48b04c9dc8be5546a3764.png

I also realize the majority of the time; my Battery will reach its full state of charge within 1 hour or less. So now I was thinking of having this function in a way that is only active for 1 hour and then reactivates after 45 minutes again. My first thought was to use the timer function as below:

image.png.4beefd631f1e633b50423146f5fed0f8.png

However, I realize this setup doesn't work as I intended. May I know what I left here? What have I done wrong?

I know I have gone beyond, which might not be essential or necessary, but I am trying to explore the possibility. I hope for some guidance here.

Please, Thank you