self tuning

Dion Parker

I have been data logging for a while now and was thinking about tuning the car myself. I tend to modify something on the car every few months and tuning gets expensive. I figure I need an O2 sensor on the tail pipe and some connecting wires for the PC Is there a tutorial out there for learning to tune your car? I have a G2 on a wrx.

You will need as minimum a wideband O2 sensor fitted in the exhaust by the gearbox, NOT in the tail pipe.  Use an Innovate LC-1, they kick arse.  It can also be wired to the ECU for logging and display.   As far as tuning goes, just be respectful of that fact that most guys in tuning shops literally have thousands of hours tuning experience, ands its not quite as straight forward as it looks.  You will be able to find heaps of advice on forums about tuning, read the PCLink online help for information on the G2's tuning functions.  You will need to get a serial cable if your laptop has a serial port or a USB-Serial converter if it has only USB ports.  Those cables can be purchased from a tuning shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Gidday. I have had my in bits tweaking the fuel system and its ready to start. I have repalced the 380cc injectors with 740ccs and want to adjust the fueling so its not too rich. I just want get it running well enough to take into the tuner as its sitting in my garage. I can hook my PC to the G2 to adjust the fuel map.I figured it would be easier to just adjust the master fuel control, say reduce it 50%? Just want to confirm before I play with it. Cheers

You will not get the exact right correction by halving the master value, but it will get you close.  Ideally halving the fuel table numbers will get you close except that in practice that is not the case due to differing injector characteristics (atomisation, pressures etc...).  To get close reduce your master and adjust until the engine runs well, you will know if it is too lean or too rich, then get it straight to the tuner.  Until you have entered exact dead times for your new injectors, you will not be able to correct fuel by halving the numbers anyways.