Reluctor Polarity

bc201081

I am in the process of doing an EFI conversion using a Atom G4+, the trigger setup consists of a 36-1 trigger wheel & a Ford EF reluctor pickup. I thought I would check the polarity of the signal using an oscilloscope, I was expecting to see a waveform like in the Link help file with a increasing rise & sharp drop, the wave form i am seeing on the scope is a symmetrical sine wave, this has me a bit confused on how to determine the correct polarity. Can anyone offer any advice?

Yeah that can happen when the tooth width Vs spacing is relatively symetrical.  You will often still see a slight wave on one edge while the other (correct) will be straighter but I have seen a few where I couldn't confidently tell.  

Two easy ways to verify:

1. Suck it and see...  Get the engine running, make some very crude adjustments to get it running OKish, lock the timing, then give it a rev, if it is wired correct polarity the timing will be stable - say less than 1deg drift.  If it is incorrect polarity you will see significant drift - say more like 10deg. 
  2. Multimeter test - Connect a multimeter to just the sensor, set it to DC mV range, stick a spanner or similar iron object to the end of the sensor, quickly move the spanner away while watching the multimeter display, It will only briefly flash to either a small positive or negative voltage.  If it flashes to negative as the spanner is snapped away, then your multimeter positive lead is connected to the sensor positive pin.