BMW PnP G4X problems with G5 software

Greenday694

That should only be showing around 12% ethanol in that case.  Can you check ethanol % again to confirm it is still at 80%.  If it is can you do a quick log so I can take a look.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 6:25 PM, Adamw said:

Im a little suspicious of the MAP sensor, I guess the backfiring might exaggerate it, but there are places in your log with 200kPa at 2000RPM, and only 30%TPS, and there are a couple of areas where it doesnt look like it is backfiring but the MAP is still unusually high.  Unless this thing has a tiny turbo?  The fuel pressure doesnt rise 1:1 with MAP either which adds to my suspicion. 

Does it have a boost gauge to confirm the reported MAP or do you know if that is plausible? 

Can you also go to >logging>setup logging and hit the "Add all" button at the bottom, you are currently missing a lot of data from your log.    

After ripping the car half apart, I finally found the problem. In between the two boards of the ECU is where the map sensor is. It has a short section of hose with what appears to be a heat shrink tubing around it, that points forward towards the back side of the connector pins, then makes a 90° turn to the one side. Right on the 90° turn the hose was kinked.

I removed the top board to get access to the map sensor and hose. Everything is such a tight fit, they're really isn't a foolproof solution with just a section of hose. I picked up a formed 90° hose and install that.

Now it's back running the way it should. Every time I shift gears and step on a throttle again it is nice and smooth and even acceleration. 

Fits with your comment about suspecting something with the map sensor. That Kink was providing a delayed manifold pressure reading. So every time I tried to accelerate, increase manifold pressure, there was a delayed before it moved to the higher manifold pressure blocks on the ve table and add the fuel needed for that area.

8 hours ago, Greenday694 said:

It has a short section of hose with what appears to be a heat shrink tubing around it

Yes it is heat-shrink as most of the flexible hoses we have tested are conductive enough to upset electronics if it touches anything on the PCB.  So make sure your new one is not touching the PCB or any electronics if it is not insulated.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2024 at 6:25 PM, Adamw said:

Im a little suspicious of the MAP sensor, I guess the backfiring might exaggerate it, but there are places in your log with 200kPa at 2000RPM, and only 30%TPS, and there are a couple of areas where it doesnt look like it is backfiring but the MAP is still unusually high.  Unless this thing has a tiny turbo?  The fuel pressure doesnt rise 1:1 with MAP either which adds to my suspicion. 

Does it have a boost gauge to confirm the reported MAP or do you know if that is plausible? 

Can you also go to >logging>setup logging and hit the "Add all" button at the bottom, you are currently missing a lot of data from your log.    

I was really hoping that I solved the problem with replacing that hose coming off of the map sensor. I also replaced the hose from the ECU to the manifold. It worked temporarily.

Steady throttle, afrs right around 14.5. 40% increase in throttle, afrs drop down to the 12s for less than a half a second, then back up to 16 or 17, then gradually come down to low 13s and Hold Steady at that throttle position.

Obviously the acceleration enrichment is working. But it seems as though the map sensor is lagging behind.? So I tried to do a map sensor calibration. Three times it came back failed.? So I'm going to take a guess that the map sensor has gone bad.

I really don't want the car sitting for 3 months while I send the ECU back to get repaired. And because I'm not really a fan of having such a long hose from the manifold to the ECU, I had considered in the past installing an external map sensor. This might be a good time to do it.

If I was going to install an external map sensor, which map sensor should I purchase? And can I add another pin to the ECU for the map sensor signal. I'm already using all of the analog inputs that are specified in the instruction manual.