Timing Calibration

Chipset

I want to ask about the timing calibration , first you lock the timing in a fixed value then you check with the timing gun and change the offset to match the locked value with the timing gun , this is nice and clear but what im curious of is the second feature . The : "Adjust delay so ignition timing is constant over the entire rpm" , what that suppose to be ? to have a rock solid stable value on the timing gun as you are raising slowly the rpm let say form 1000 to 6000 ? Cause what i saw is the when you are varying the rpm its not that easy to watch the mark and looks like that mark is dizzy but if you take steady steps holding the car stable to let say 2000 3000 4000 etc then the ignition value of the gun is the same with the locked one . It takes the car about a sec to see the mark steady on the gun when varying the rpm from on value to another. Thank you .

Hi Chipset

if you  set the base timing to lets say 10deg at 2000 rpm using the offset control then hold the engine to 4000 rpm and adjust the trim to get the timing light to again read 10deg this may not be needed  as the timing maybe perfect but on nissan trirrering you ormally have to adjust a small amount maybe 55 micro sec  ( about 2 deg ) this just helps get a more stable tune dont get to tech with it as your tuner willl tune  each zone in the ignition map to suit anyway when you tune on a dyno the scatter you will be seeing momenterialy will be chain whip and cas sensor play dont be to worried.

hope this helps  cheers ross

Thank you dobson, im tuning the car by my own but i had some concerns about if i did the right timing calibration cause if i lock my base timing let say 10 deg my timing gun shows ( after i fixed the offset ) 10 everywhere idle 1000 2000 3000 4000 etc but when i play the throttle from 1000 to let say 3000 the mark is slipping about 5 degrees minus 10 but if a stay about 1 or 2 sec to 3000 the mark goes back to 10 . I didnt know if that was normal as a result of chain whip or cas sensor play , but this doesnt look riht to me as its is something like the feature that we have for transient ignition retard ( of cource i have this off ) . If you get what i mean is that when tapping the throttle it look like im trimming 5 degrees of timing and after a while 1 2 sec my timing is spot on again . Im going to play with the micro sec offset today to see if i can fix this or not. Thank you for your response :)

also might pay if you can remove the cas sensor check there is a o ring on the shaft to stop the cas from rattleing in the cam shaft drive recently i have chased a problem with the cas sensor drive rotating in the cam shaft ( yes these are only pressed in ) it had me going for a day or two. other problems can be timing belt to tight or loose you can test this by removing the cam cover refit the cas sensor with the cover spacers spacing out the cas about 3mm so the four cam bolts dont touch the cas run engine and watch the belt whip when reving.

also put your hand on the cas sensor is it really hot if it is it might be worn out is the manual fan still fitted as this helps cool the cas sensor ?

just a few more tips haha

good luck mate

dam forget most of what i just told you i was thinking in my head you owned a rb not a sr motor haha it must be late

um i dont know why yours does that hahaha  buy a rb i have way better fixs for them

the timing chain tension may be tired or the top chain guide between the cams may missing ? what is the preload on the lifters like are you running std cams ?

Haha i wish i was able to run a RB25 or RB26 but ... Im ok fter all with the little sr :) I found the problem after all .... you will not going to believe it !!! it was the timing gun that had the problem and its was an expensive one .. the gun wasnt fast enough to follow with the changing of rpm with his flashing . Today i tried again with a different gun and found that everything was rock solid using - 98 offset and 55 micro sec. Thank you after all for you support its nice to have help from someone with better experience :) I love to learn new things.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am doing a very similar process but I am unsure what the base value should be set to I am running a rb25DET in series 2 R33, The base timing value according to the Nissan manual is 15 deg BTDC. And more importantly when do I set this. As I have just calibrated everything and not fired the car yet, although the two Opto sensors come up fine. do I try and figure out a way to set the base timing at starter crank speed to pick up the timing advance from that process or do I just give it a go fire the engine and see what gives.... and once I have a running engine then adjust the timing.

you need to read the help files before you do any more !!!! this is  why they are there.

setting the base timing is one of the first things you do it is done before you fire the engine the degrees you use does not really matter but use ten because it is easy to find on the rb engine it is only so the ecu and engine read the same  make sure you do it as the help manual says tho 

www.dynotune.co.nz

I would do if the help files represented the exact same thing I am seeing on the PClink screen I see the set base timing window is quite different to the help window instructions so it just confuses me. I have calibrated the triggers and they all switched to Yes in the runtime triggers list for the triggers and ECCS Sync etc on the setup mode, I stored the result (f4) following instructions after the YES values appear for the triggers I store these. the widest slot value gets set to 24 DEG.then click test ECCS sync to OFF. and Press F4 to store again Then I click calibrate | Set Base Timing button. Set base timing window opens I am using build 4.7.1.804 PClink. The Set base timing shows three sections 1) Lock Timing to. 2) Adjust Offset until... and 3) Adjust delay so Ignition Timing.... I set the "Lock Ignition timing to;" 10.0 (is this on also rotating the crank to that position), but where does it get the adjust for the offset from. when where or how does this work for the nissan RB25DET . Do I adjust the CAS to fire the spark at that point. because I get no result there I would have expected to see the timing light flash or work out a methond to get the relationship right do I just keep on adding numbers until i get a signal...or do I need some from of dwell meter... I have tested the ignition on channel 1 and yes I do get a signal that flashes the timing light.. Best bet I find someone in Gisborne that has done it before any help you can provide pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated,.

Finally figured it out, Setting Base Timing.. you have to push enter after keying in the offset value to make the ENTRY FIELD box CHANGE COLOUR TO Blue before you click Done and that stores the value... Talk about the basics of understanding the instructions (and an inconsistent GUI doesn't help) , because just keying in the value eg -25 then hitting Done does nothing.(leaves the value as it was eg 0) LIVE AND LEARN... ME THAT IS...And hopefully this is of benefit to someone else that is a newbie and struggles with the instruction manual....

• 1 year later...