What is Mitsubishi 4G92 sohc distributor Trigger Setup ?

drxiii

Hi , i have Link G4+ Atom. The problem is I can't start up my engine. My engine is Mitsubishi 4G92 sohc distributor. And it has 4/1 trigger on it. 4 tooth on Trigger 1, and 1 tooth on trigger 2.

In the software,

Trigger Setup > Trigger Mode = Multi-Tooth, Trigger Priority = Trig 1, RPM Filtering = 1-Default.

Trigger 1 > Trigger 1 Type = Optical/Hall, Trigger 1 Filtering = Level 2,Trigger 1 Pullup = ON, Trig 1 Edge = Rising, Multi-tooth Posn = Cam, Tooth Count = 4.

Trigger 2 > Trigger 2 type = Optical/Hall, Trigger 1 Filtering = Level 2,Trigger 1 Pullup = ON, Trig 1 Edge = Falling, Sync Mode = Cam Pulse 1x.

Then I set the trigger offset until timing mark lock in position. But i still can't fire up my engine. What mistake i've done here ? Thanks.

Fred

ignition setup.jpg

trigger 1.jpg

trigger 2.jpg

trigger setup.jpg

trigger pattern.jpeg

If you have set the timing already then you must have a spark, so it doesnt sound like you have a trigger issue.  

Having said that, for future reference, it would be better to use "1 tooth per TDC" trigger mode as this will give more stable spark angle when cranking speed is uneven.  Also with low tooth cound triggers you want to command quite exaggerated dwell at cranking speed.  

So from your description I would be more suspicious of the fuel side. 

Thank Adamw for fast respon !! Today i started working again with the Master Fuel. Result still the same and it can't fire up 😔 When i calibrate the base timing, lock to "0" Degrees BTDC, the trigger offset is 130 degree. Then i've try mirror it to -220 degree also fail to fire up. At my Ignition table, i set it 10 degree for engine start. it should cranking at 10, but it still cranking at 0 degree when i use the timing light for double check. and my spark angle not stable, the engine very hard to crank up. I haven't yet try "1 tooth per TDC", maybe this is the answer ?

I attached my file here for you to take a check 🙂

4G92 SOHC Basemap.pclr

I would change the trigger 1 edge to falling, the offset is normally close to zero with most distributor triggers if you are using the correct edge.  Then turn the engine by hand to TDC#1 compression to make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to Cyl 1 plug lead.  Changing offset by 180 or 360 will not make it work if the rotor is sending the spark to the wrong cylinder.  

On 7/23/2024 at 7:38 AM, Adamw said:

I would change the trigger 1 edge to falling, the offset is normally close to zero with most distributor triggers if you are using the correct edge.  Then turn the engine by hand to TDC#1 compression to make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to Cyl 1 plug lead.  Changing offset by 180 or 360 will not make it work if the rotor is sending the spark to the wrong cylinder.  

Do I need to "Sync Mode = None" at Trigger 2  @Adamw ?

On 7/23/2024 at 7:38 AM, Adamw said:

17 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Sync mode needs to be cam pulse 1X.

Okay @Adamw....I've follow your step last night and failed to fire up the engine. But i've try your first method "1 Tooth per TDC", tadaaa 🫠 it alive !! To confirm it, this morning i've try morning start....just 1 kick start. Seems like this engine very happy with this Trigger Setup ? What do you think @Adamw ?

Either mode should work, the main difference is 1 tooth per TDC mode does not use any offset or advance during cranking - it just fires a spark exactly when it sees the tooth.  If it starts with 1 tooth per TDC, then it should start in multi-tooth mode with offset set to zero.  But it will be best to stay with 1 tooth/tdc mode anyway.  

This is what i'm thinking about the 2 methods will work because it's the same. If I set it to Multi-Tooth mode and set the trigger offset to zero, i can't sèe the timing mark at the crank, until i put it to 140 degrees the timing mark is at zero but not stable. When i make datalog, the rpm will shoot ~ 300 to 750 rpm. Why this happened @Adamw 🤔