magna 4g54 trigger problems

Ryan v8bmwdrift

hi everyone ive just installed a linkg4 atom in to my car ive done all the pre start chechs and set up ,im strugling with the triggers ive got no idea what to put in the boxes .ino its an opical/hall type sensors ,and also in the insturctions it says something about calabrating the triggers by using a timeing light ??? how do you do that if i cant get the engine runing,in other words how do i calabrate the triggers before starting thanks ryan ,*(im sorry if these questions Are silly im still new ish to this ecu stuff)

Hi Ryan.

I would start by trying the EVO v1-6 triggger pattern to begin with, but make sure you have the following settings under BOTH Trig 1 and Trig 2 once chosen.  Type = Optical/Hall, Pull up = 'ON', Filter level = 1.  Make sure the Edge = Rising on Trig1 and Edge = Falling on Trig2.

Once this is set, please turn off your fuel pump and ignition system through PCLink, and crank the engine.  You will see in your runtime values (F12 Triggers/Limits tab), if the ECU is seeing them correctly.  

Setting the base  timing is easy, after turning your ignition system back on, crank your engine over, you will see the timing mark on the pulley.  Be aware that damage can be caused if you are distributed and the timing is already WAY off for some reason.  If you are unsure, bring piston #1 to TDC and make sure the rotor is pointing quite close to a distributor tower.

Other than that, just follow the instructions on how to 'calibrate' your timing.  Cranking over with no fuel means it won't fire up if it wanted to.  Make sure you base timing number is what you time your puley too.  The adjustment if the mark on the pulley is out is your offset in the calibrate box.

Jurgen