RB25DET alternative coil pack set up

Nathan Pryor

G day all, I have a question not really Link related but I am using one so can I ask it??? I want to ditch the individual coil packs off the top of the spark plugs and go to a single six post coil pack. Whats a good replacement coil pack? I was thinking of an EL/AU Falcon (wasted spark)because its a nice fit on the chassis. Secondly, a propose to hide it away and it will increase the length of spark plug leads to longer than I have seen in most factory set ups (approx 1.4m from pack to furthermost plug). Been wasted spark my lead resistance will be double because of the return via the opposite lead. Am i asking for trouble? I really want this to work. By the way this engines in a Kingswood ute, hense the non factory approach.

Hmmm, I think you may be asking for trouble making the leads that long!  As well as loss of spark energy, you may also get electrical noise problems.  I would tend to try keep the leads as short as possible.  Especially as it will mean the spark path is up to nearly 2.8 metres long.  How are you going to drive the wasted spark arrangement ?  Maybe hide the coil back down the side of the motor like on the falcon.  Most WS conversions I have seen on RB20's, the coil pack sits on the top of the rocker cover basically where the factory igniter is!  Make sure you buy good quality HT leads also.

I was planning to utilise the factory six channel ignitor. I can compromise and mount the pack on the fire wall near right on top of the sixth cylinder. Can I mount the ignitor say 600 mm away from the coil pack I hear that this needs to be as close as possible??? and secondly, whats your opinion on using the factory ignitor? Cheers Nathan Hastings

Ideally the ignitor should be as close as possible to the coils to minimise the length of noisy high current primary wires.  There are some parts where practicality must be put ahead of looks, so keep all the wiring short and tidy...  Make sure you separate the signal wiring and high current wiring.  The tech guys say that people have used the factory igniter for wasted spark setup before without trrouble...