AVCS in a Subaru GC8

Brad Fox

I'm putting an EJ207 from a ver 8 STi into a GC8 subaru, and i want to run the AVCS. I know that the LinkPlus G3 will do this, but my question is do i need to use a wire in, or can i use an AdaptaLink and add the wires for the cam sensors and AVCS solenoids? Cheers Brad

There is no AdaptaLink to suit your engine.  I don't think you will be able to use the GC8 engine loom.  One option is to fit the V8 engine loom and run a WRXLink G3 plug in ECU.  If you want to do a re-wire, then you will have to use the LinkPlus G3 as full wire-in.  I can provide you with what to wire to each auxiliary channel etc... so you can use the Subaru V8 base map.  That would save having to set up AVCS and will give you a pretty good state of tune to begin with.

Does it make a difference if I am reusing the 99 manifold/throttle body/injectors/idle control etc and wasted spark system? It would essentially be a 99 motor with AVCS that way? Using the v8 engine loom isn't really an option, as that means replacing the cabin loom/dash as well, and I'm not about to do that. I guess using a full wire in isn't the end of the world, would you be able to forward the info to [email protected]? Cheers Brad

Yeah, you will have to use a full wire-in.  I'm not sure what the effects on air dynamics will be when not using the manifold designed for AVCS heads, but I guess you will find out.  The V8 base map will not be quite as useful if you are not using a complete V8 motor.  It will help with setting up AVCS, but not as much with the tuning...

Interested as to why the map wouldn't be as suitable. I know that I'm using a different intake manifold, but the differences aren't massive. I know the idle control is different, but other than that I'm not sure why a v8 base map wouldn't be applicable. If you can send through the info on wiring that would be tops. ;)

I sent through some information the other day, did you get it?  The biggest difference will be injector sizing/deadtimes and some slight VE differences.  But I think the base map will get you ten times closer that starting with nothing.  Let me know if you did not get the information I sent...