vipec 7 bar map sensor issues

turbodailydan

anyone familiar with vipec/link?

running a vipec v88 plugin ecu on an r32 gtr

wired in an external 7 bar vipec map sensor via the expansion connector, de selected the internal 2.5bar map sensor from AN VOLT 1 and selected 7 BAR map sensor onto AN VOLT 2.

map sensor is reading 100kpa ignition on (0.84v), matches baro sensor reading which is 100kpa also.

once started engine is massively over fueling...

so reverted back to the internal map sensor, but now that is reading 69kpa with ignition on so unable to perform sensor calibration as it isnt within 5kpa of the baro which is 100kpa 

image.jpg

Edited by turbodailydan

Hi turbodailydan,

I have never had an issue like this before.

So when you change back to internal MAP and connect the MAP sensor hose to it, you are deselecting AN VLT 2 and only have 1 MAP sensor selected.

Then you try to do a MAP sensor CAL with AN VLT  1 internal MAP and it wont calibrate , correct.

Can you show us a picture of the sensor please.

Regards

Dave. 

That's correct. The 7 bar is a vipec in the gold casing. 

If if I put the vac hose on the internal map sensor and blow it does effect the reading but it sits at 69kpa when there's no pressure present ie ignition on engine off 

the 7bar reads 100kpa with ignition on but struggles to run due to the amount of fuel its chucking through

http://sendvid.com/5eqb09y5?secret=2e379660-bf4c-46e2-b844-d89b6f205d79

see if that vid works. That's on the 2.5bar internal sensor

Hi,

so you deselected AN VLT 2 and reselected AN VLT 1 Internal MAP sensor but it will not recalibrate correct.

There is a chance your ecu may have a 4 bar MAP sensor fitted.

Please select 4 BAR and try to calibrate .

Let me know how you go.

Remember if the tune is not correct and cold start fuel etc is very rich the MAP sensor reading with the engine running will be low adding more fuel due to low MAP and also fouled plugs from over fueling from MAP issues will do the same thing.

Regards

Dave.

Yeah I deselected an2 and selected an1 again. The car started and ran pretty well on the internal map sensor prior to messing with the 7 bar so it's abit strange it's not reverting back to the 2.5bar sensor when selected..

what I don't understand is why the 2.5bar is reading 69kpa now.

i did have a play with the other map sensor options to see if the kpa changed and I think the 4 bar made it read 100kpa but it still ran like crap. Although that makes no sense to me either as it's always been on 2.5bar since I installed the Ecu!?

i will have a play tommorow and report back. Thanks for the assist!

Ok gone out there this morning, the internal map sensor will read 100kpa if I set it to 4bar. However that is completely weird as it has always been set to 2.5bar!?.. Hence the reason why I purchased the 7bar map sensor as I plan to run over 1.5bar.

3rd cylinder plug is fowled so I'm ganna pull the plugs and clean and retry.

none of this is making any sense to me though.. As I've done everything as per the instructions to change over to external sensor yet I'm just getting a load of problems

perhaps there's an issue with the board 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cleaned the plugs

run it on the 7 bar map sensor and took a load of fuel out the mixture map at idle, got the afr around 13.5 which is what the engine likes, sounds ok but it's still chucking fuel smoke out the tailpipe, where as if I refit the power fc back on, it idles at the same 13.5 afr but no clouds of fuel smoke.. 

I also can only get the internal map sensor to read atmospheric 100kpa on the 4 bar setting now rather than the 2.5bar it was set to previously

the engine ran fine on the internal map sensor prior to messing around with this external map sensor

so I'm not really sure what to do now.. Don't know if the Ecu has an issue or not?

image.jpg

Hi,

it is very unlikely the ECU itself has an issue, as it has all been fine until you setup the 7 BAR sensor.

Cleaning spark plugs is very HIT and MISS unless using a fine glass shot blaster.

You are best removing and replacing the plugs with new ones.

Are there any vacuum hoses left off anywhere from swapping MAP sensors etc.

Fitting higher pressure MAP sensors will have no effect on the idle tune as long as the MAP sensor is calibrated.

You should not have to change the idle mixtures or anything because the MAP/BAP should not  have changed unless you moved to Mt Everest or something.

There is the possibility that the 7 BAR MAP sensor May have an issue.

The most common fault with external MAP sensors being fitted is people wire them to 12 volts instead of the 5 volt reference they need to run on.

Regards

Dave.

Doesn't make any sense..

(The spark plugs were new so wouldn't need changing after a fowl up.)

The internal map sensor won't read 100kpa on 2.5bar setting that it's always been on. Even if I reload the supplied Gtr v88 plugin map that is supplied on the software it automatically reverts it back to 2.5bar map sensor.

none of it makes any sense. I've managed to get it to run ok by playing with the fuel map and main fuel settings. So it's drives ok now at least, will get it to my mapper and see what happens but I'm just confused by it all now to be honest 

It would pay to check the part number on the internal map sensor.

It could be that the incorrect sensor was selected right at the start and hence the tune is out of wack now that the correct sensor has been selected.

If you open the case and get the part number on the sensor we can confirm the sensor.

when I fitted the Ecu originally, the car ran fine on the v88 Gtr plugin map which comes on the software. It also preselects 2.5bar map sensor. 

The he car has not been mapped yet, it's still running the base map. 

Since I fitted the external 7 bar map sensor I've had all these problems.

now the internal map sensor won't see 100kpa with engine off if set to 2.5bar. 

If set to 4 bar it reads 100kpa.

but like I've been saying, it ran fine on the 2.5bar setting out the box before. Now it doesn't. 

Once 4 bar is selected, it runs the same as the 7bar, ie mega rich, and needs A load of fuel taking out. 

Can you make any sense of that because I sure can't 

I will get the internal map sensor part number as would be interested to know what's actually installed.

cheers