Turbo Speed sensor

Guest Marcel B

The sensor reads the aluminum blades of the compressor wheel. The sensor has extra circuitry to format the signals to suit the Vipec speed inputs. The turbocharger rpm is shown in the software or data logs as speed in Kph. Example 100 Kph = 100,000 rpm.

The compressor cover needs to have a hole drilled and taped to take the sensor. The tip of the sensor should read all the blades and not just the first set. The best position of the sensor is so it reads the blades as shown in the middle drawing.

I have one on my car and learn a lot about the turbocharger speed in relation to a whole lot of things. Also a good way to diagnose wastegate operation.

TSensorInfo.jpg

Treads are 6 mm x 0.5 mm.

0.8 mm clearance. (1.6 revoulution counterclockwise after it have touched the compressor wheel)

Ray, how to compencate for different # of blades? I have a 14 blade wheel. Which Calibration DI should I use?

Thanks

Ben Stian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest |614|

Ray,

I've been running a turbo speed sensor in my pre-Vi-pec configuration. The technical contact at the turbo mfgr mentioned to me that the 500Hz max of the Vi-pec digital inputs will not allow direct input from my existing turbo speed sensor. Is there a solution that will allow direct input, short of buying a modified speed sensor? The one I have was expensive, and I'd far prefer to use it if possible.

Thanks for your input.

The turbo speed sensor available from Vipec dealers has a small circuit board that divides the signals (by 16) so it is compatible with the Vipec. If you do not have the Vipec turbo speed sensor below, then you are going to have to do the same or get the Vipec version.

Ray.

turbospeedsensor.jpg