My project (89 Dodge Colt)

Guest |453|

This is starting as a kind of introduction I guess too, I am Joe and live in Canada. My car is a 1989 Dodge Colt, one of the 1600 that came with the turbocharged 1.6 mitsu engine. I have had it for almost 5 years now and the car has undergone lots of changes in almost everypart. This is what it was like stock:

coltfpside.jpg

I had the car for 3 weeks before I put in a 2.0 turbo mitsu engine from an Eagle Talon and was able to do [email protected] mph spining most of the way. Blew the tranny two years later. I alwasy thought that if I broke something I would upgrade it or make it stronger. So I made the car all wheel drive with parts from an Eagle Talon once again. Required cutting the spare tire holder, making new suspension mounts, driveshaft mounts, engine mounts and fuel cell. I have not had much time to drive it the last few years, but pretty much everything that could be unbolted and upgraded has been using parts for a Talon. Now it has a built engine, shep tranny, aluminum flywheel, act 2900 clutch, old school 60-1 turbo, coil overs, 1/2'' hard stainless fuel lines, 4 point cage (have not had time to complete yet), 3'' exhaust, drilled/slotted rotors, dual piston calipers, I could probably go on for a while with the list. The rad and fans are even from the Volkswagen Scirocco. Before I did the suspension, clutch, tranny and turbo upgrades I ran a 12.7@108 mph with the clutch slipping and missing gears.

I have done all the work myself except for building the transmission. I started the project because I have always liked the turbo dsm's and I wanted to be different. Hence why I purchased the Vi-pec setup, plugs right into the factory harness, nice and simple. The car is parked once again for winter, but I am finally getting it painted in the spring and hopefully figure out this tuning thing. Living in the middle of no where sucks, the dyno is 4 hours away and the drag strip is 3 hours away.

Crappy stock talon suspension

25390259jv3.jpg

I don't have any newer pictures with me now because I am up north with my laptop. I will post a few when I get home next week. Here is a few of the races I did last year at the track, I did some poor numbers. http://www.youtube.com/user/neverdonecolt#p/u/1/I34f9yvZAMs

This is one of the fastest awd swapped colts, I wont be beating these times anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cataplt#p/u/10/T8T6n8Skx5g

10.2@140 mph

I am expecting to do somewhere around the 11.0 area or a tad better for next year.

Oh yeah, I have a 6'' touchscreen plc in the car that alot of people seem to like. It displays everything I need to know, all temps, oil/fuel/boost pressure, a/f ratio, push button start (password protected too). Use to control the rad fan setpoints but now the vipec does that and it frees up an output on the plc :D Here is the only video I have of it, but most of the sensors to the screen were not hooked up yet. http://www.youtube.com/user/neverdonecolt#p/u/15/3HWGU3T3tg4

Anyways, thats about it for now. I probably won't be posting much on here until spring/summer and I start playing with the setup again. Lots of info on the forum though, nice job Ray.

I think it took me about 5 months of working on it here and there, probably about 140 hours for me to do it with the car on jack stands. I could do it better and easier the second time, if there every will be a second time. Some more motivated people have done it in a week, but I think they had all the parts ready before they started.