Coil pack dwell settings

nilsp

Have just swapped from stock rotor and a coil to coil pack and is a little concerned the settings might get wrong.

Engine run in dyno with new coil for a few hours and worked fine, but when installed in car I started getting misfires and in end one plug failed. Might be just a failed plug, but thinking some settings might be wrong to.

Coil is a type that came from vw 2 liter engines. Bought one online; ngk u2011 its called.

Found some info they need low dwell times, so set down from 3 ms to 2 ms, and used that in dyno and no misfires were noticed.

Anyone got a table for these kind of coils? :rolleyes:

Cant find any detailed spec for them either.

Bosch has number 098622049 for these and a code; zsk4x1 which seems to be kind of a code for several types of coil packs.

IMG_201503041420313990.jpg

Is it running sequential or wasted spark?  I have heard that particular coil doesnt like being run wasted spark and will overheat quickly if run that way.  I have used one with good success but it was on a relatively low powered engine so it wasnt working very hard.  I dont remember what dwell I used, but I would start around 2ms and only give it more if it misfires. 

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

Is it running sequential or wasted spark?  I have heard that particular coil doesnt like being run wasted spark and will overheat quickly if run that way.  I have used one with good success but it was on a relatively low powered engine so it wasnt working very hard.  I dont remember what dwell I used, but I would start around 2ms and only give it more if it misfires. 

Adam,

sorry forgot to mention.. Its running sequential now with new coil.

Was out driving and testing small stuff etc and it felt like the engine hesitated trying to rev into 5000 + area.

Looked for all kind of limits or errors,but couldnt find any.

No trigger errors, but thought I'd check them with the triggerscope, and doing a little high rev triggerscope was when a plug suddenly failed, could see due to individual egt sensors.

So just trying to look into any obvious things that could be wrong due to this coil swap!

5 hours ago, Lunar said:

Do you have a scope to monitor the current draw for the coils under different voltage conditions?

No.. and not really very good with this kind of electronics, but might have to look more into.. read you can test coils and find data that way.. thanks!

12 hours ago, Adamw said:

Ok, sounds like you have it under control then.  If it fouls a plug again after you replace it then you could try a little more dwell, it might need a little more to "burn through" the contamination.

Ok.. yes maybe it actually wants a little more dwell.

thinking of it, will try to compare actual voltage now and back in engine dyno.. could be a slight difference impacting the dwell table.

Thanks for help.. as usual :)